Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with XP Pro on Dell work station

• Please log in to reply

dilly yo

dilly yo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all..... I have a doozy for my first post on this forum. Quick background and then I will describe my issues and will also post an email I sent a former IT/friend of mine who set up my network at my office.

I have a Dell Precision work station 370 series computer. This use to be in one of my offices along with a Dell power edge server. I had since closed my office down and transfered the comps into my office. The server is in my sons room and has no seen issues. Up until I had the work station in my office, I had no issues. It was sitting for a few months befor it got set up in my home.

After setting it up I was in the process of transfering some things from my HP laptop onto the work station. I was also getting rid of unused or unwanted programs. I then noticed this problem. This is an email I sent my friend who is a network admin or something:

Whats up kid. Quick question. I have my office computer that I had in my office, now in my home office. I set everything up (not networked) and all is cool. I am cleaning up some [bleep] on my comp and transfer [bleep] from one comp to another. When I go to “add/remove programs” through Control Panel, it does not give me the option/tab to remove. Now, I just downloaded a printer program and Mozilla Browser. Those programs I just downloaded I do have the option/tab to remove, but all of the programs that were on the computer previous I have none. I went through administrative tools and could find nothing since I am assuming there is something that is blocking me from the previous setup. Now, I can go into Program Files folder and delete the files there, but when I go back in the Add/remove programs it is still showing on there.

What I did realize is that when I go to the start menu and programs, I click on it and it starts to install it and then said the disk is needed blah blah blah. So, I am assuming that the program is not on the comp, but why still under the add/remove?!?!? The program in question is a dell paint shop program initialed as JASC and this is a dell computer, but why does it do this with all other programs….everything from SmartFTP to Adobe etc.??

It’s weird because I don’t even have half the programs that are on my computer listed in the add/remove list. Its like it populates, but not all. On my laptop I have everything from Yahoo messenger to Microsoft Office and they can all be changed/removed.

Just wanted to tell you one more thing. Even when I went into Regedit.exe and the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Uninstall

The only files that were under this folder were the ones I downloaded (HP printer program and its associated programs and Mozilla). Other than that there was nothing.
[i]

This was the first thing I noticed. Then I started to have problems with the computer freezing on me, making me have to pull the plug frequently. I also had a problem with my comp not detecting a USB device or telling me something was wrong with the USB port, but working again after several tries at plugging and unplugging the device again. Another problem that I had (which I might have resolved) was my dell wireless antenae'd driver going out. I would have to keep uninstaling it and then installing it again. It would always have a yellow exclamation next to it in device manager. Finally I just took the disk and reinstalled the driver again and it hasn't given me a problem in the past day.

My IT friend said that it sounded as if something deeper was an issue and that he did not suspect a virus (have run every online scanner, bit defender, spyware programs and run a standing Rising Anti virus and nothing has shown up). He suggested that I try and repair my OS. So I found instructions online on how to proceed. I took the disk that dell supplied to me and I was told to restart my comp. I clicked on the "install XP pro" option and a window popped up that asked either UPGRADE or fresh install. I choose UPGRADE since it would keep my programs. it then proceeded to check the system and then initiate a restart. Once it restarted it would go from the Windows intial screen and then say "checking system configuration". after that I would get an error message on a blue screen saying "setup cannot find a CD ROM drive" followed by other info that if it was a SCSI or something to that afect to proceed in a certain manner. At the bottom it says F3=Quit, but when I hit it nothing happens. The comp is frozen so I have to push the power button to restart. I verified in BIOS that my BOOT sequence had my CD ROM first. Now everytime I go to start my computer I get to the screen that asks which operating system to use.....either XP Pro or XP Pro setup. Its already on setup and if I do not change it fast enough it goes to the CD_ROM error screen.

As i don't have a lot of info on this computer and whatever I did need I backed up on a cd, I do not have a problem wiping out my whole system and starting from scratch. However it seems that I cannot even do that with this latest error. I have tried going into F8 and going to my last known good settings, but everything is still the same. I am about to run Hijack this and then post it on the appropriate thread, but if someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so...can you or can you not get into the previos operating system by NOT choosing the xp setup option?

dilly yo

dilly yo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I can get into the normal OS....its just that its a PITA to toggle it everytime. My main concern is the fact that I cannot run the XP pro install or repair due to this error I am getting.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Let's get back to a semi-stable place

Open MY COMPUTER, choose TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW

Scroll down and CHECK SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

UNCHECK HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES and HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM OPERATING SYSTEM RILES (RECOMMENDED)

Click OK, OK

Now, go to LOCAL DISK C:, find boot.ini, right click it, choose PROPERTIES, uncheck READ ONLY, click OK

now, go to

start > run, type
notepad c:\boot.ini
<enter>

Your boot.ini will open in notepad

copy and paste the contents here.

Close notepad WITHOUT saving