Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Laptop Power Problems

• Please log in to reply

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello. I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S401. It has been acting up power-wise so I recently got a new battery but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Problem is that when I turn it on while plugged into AC with a battery properly mounted, it RUNS fine, but will not charge the battery. Users manual says AC power light should glow green and battery light should glow amber while the battery is charging (or green if it is fully charged) when the PC is plugged into the wall. With the computer on and working, my AC power light glows AMBER, no mention of that at all in the manual, and my battery light is not glowing at all. ?! What gives?

My battery is at 3% and is not being used by the PC for power. I do still get the "Low battery, save your work or switch to AC power" message, even though I'm already on AC power. SO something "sees" the battery, but it won't charge it. AC adapter is also acting weird, might have a break in the wires, if I wiggle the cord just right I get changes in the lights on the PC, but could that be the cause of the battery not charging? Seems unlikely since it will actually run the PX. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sounds like the AC cord is busted OR the port on the back of the machine is broken where it plugs in...probably not a battery issue at all...

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well, okay. I've bought a new battery AND a new AC cord. Absolutely same results. So I guess it's a power subsystem problem. Is there anywhere to go from here, or should I just chuck it and buy a new laptop?

sounds like the AC cord is busted OR the port on the back of the machine is broken where it plugs in...probably not a battery issue at all...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's as simple as a busted "jack" on the computer...then you might e able to open it up and fix that (had to glue one back together on a friend's lt not too long ago...wasn't fun but it worked)...if there's nothing that looks physically broken (i.e. the center pin is loose or some other weird deal like that)...then...it may be a lost cause...