Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

End of Nrton and McAfee

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're Welcome! :whistling:

Advertisements

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry dont want to be a pest again, but why is it that I cant turn Norton completely off? I have like a week left and the max time it will let me close it out is ''until the computer is restarted''. I know it is because of safety reasons but is there a way to permanently disable it without uninstalling it? I will get Avast, I just hope it does as good of a job as Norton does....What internet security do you guys have on now, just curious? Thanks again for all your help. It is really appreciated!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry, I have not been following this but if in the case that you are have your malware removed in the malware forum leave be until that finishes; however, if that is not the case then I would uninstall Norton now.

Remember that with Norton the other name Symontec, (rymes with Demontech)

press; windows flag botton and r botton
type; appwiz.cpl
press; enter

The above opens the add/remove panel
I seem to remember that there are
the Symontec live update entry and the Norton entry itself
remove (happily) both.

Reboot comp and then download AVG form this site

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Edited by fleamailman, 15 April 2006 - 08:23 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version/application of Norton do you have installed?

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Not 2 sure of what version it is. Actually it is 2005

Edited by shadystight08, 15 April 2006 - 08:33 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the icon in the System Tray and choose "Options". Deselect the option to have it start with the system and set it to manual start. Apply the change and reboot.

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Now gop download Avast after I do what was said in the last post?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you're going to install the Avast!, I would follow Fleamailman's advice and uninstall the Norton from Add or Remove Programs. Remove the main application first, then Live Update, then Live Reg. Then install the Avast!

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok i disabled norton and I installed Avast 4.6 So i am all set and i dont have anything to worry about anymore? R there any thingsd i should check to make sure it is right? Thanks for the great timing and quick responses!

So uninstall ''live update systematic'' too?

Edited by shadystight08, 15 April 2006 - 08:49 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...uninstall all the Norton stuff. Then run a scan with Avast! and see if it finds anything the Norton missed...it will usually find something.

Advertisements

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you guys very much for all the help. I'll check in in a couple of minutes whn everything is done. y is it asking for a registration key or number? do i just avoid it and say no or what

Edited by shadystight08, 15 April 2006 - 09:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're very welcome! :whistling:

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Avast just got done scanning 68,000some files. Why is that? Norton scanned 250000. It was on thorough scan, the scan area was local disks (?) the only choices to scan are removable media, local disk and folders.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All scanners scan differently. I've used Norton and Avast! on the same machine...not at the same time, of course, and have never had an infection get through the Avast!. I can't say the same for Norton. I'm not sure why there is such a discrepency in the file count (it was the same on my machine), but it is a good scanner. Way better than Norton or McAfee and is way easier on system resources. What I like best about Avast! is the real time protection...it just doesn't let stuff in. :whistling:

Try it for a while. I think you'll find it is very effective. If you want a really good AV, look into Nod32. It's not free, but it is one of the best available.

wannabe1

shadystight08

shadystight08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Well Avast just tucked up my computer because I went to go turn on my computer and it turned on, but it wont let me do anything, not even ctrl alt del. I tried turning it off by the big power button, but it wont turn off, there is a red balloon at the bottom saying thst Avast 4.6 may be outdated and my computer may be at risk!!! HELP!!!! I am typing on my dads computer right now!! :whistling: