Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can someone please help me? i am going crazy

• Please log in to reply

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i was using my computer, and then something popped up and said that my computer was infected. it said i need to restart the computer, so i did, and when i logg into my computer it says "This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I have no idea why this is happening, the computer is brand new and it will not work, nothing will work except for the task manager. please help me, i would appreciate it so much

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i dont understand what to do.. im not good w/ forums... :whistling:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Click the link below and follow the instructions..

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Once you have finished, post your HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum.. The link is underlined in my signature !!

Murray

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok, i dont think you understand, that computer wont even logg on, i can not open anythinng with it, so there is nothing i can do from your directions... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download the programmes with the computer you are using now, save them to disc and load them on to your PC

You may need this after removing things

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

When you say log on, you mean the internet, or windows?

With task manager, click file then new task, type explorer.exe and press enter, then click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, use task manager, file new task, if the start bar does not show

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi thank you so much, i am using a computer that i can not download things on, and when i say logg in i mean onto windows.. can you please help me i am going to cry

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok i tried to type explorer.exe in the new task thing but it says "the application has failed" and nothing will open, the only think that i can open is aol instant messenger by typing AIM... pleaseeeee help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you type sfc /scannow (with the space) in task manager

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
YES ITS WORKING WHAT DO I DO NOW???

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it says please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their origional versions, but its not doing anything

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be getting a blue progress bar onscreen

jmtha3rd

jmtha3rd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
im not.. :whistling: any more suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you reboot the PC and you should get the desktop, taskbar etc