Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder Opens on Reboot

• Please log in to reply

Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My daughters laptop has a folder that always opens on each reboot (C:\Program Files\HP). I suspect it is because something got corrupted in the registry either from spyware or spyware removal, but I can't locate what it is. Could someone take a look at these registry files and see if something looks wrong to you? I checked and "restore previous folder windows at logon" is not checked in folder options.
Thanks!!!!!!!

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ATIPTA"="C:\\Program Files\\ATI Technologies\\ATI Control Panel\\atiptaxx.exe"
"TV Now"="C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Notebook Utilities\\TvNow.exe /RK"
"Display Settings"="C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Notebook Utilities\\hptasks.exe /s"
"QT4HPOT"="C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\One-Touch\\OneTouch.EXE"
"SynTPLpr"="C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPLpr.exe"
"SynTPEnh"="C:\\Program Files\\Synaptics\\SynTP\\SynTPEnh.exe"
"HPHmon05"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\hphmon05.exe"
"RoxioEngineUtility"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Roxio Shared\\System\\EngUtil.exe\""
"RoxioDragToDisc"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Roxio\\Easy CD Creator 6\\DragToDisc\\DrgToDsc.exe\""
"Cpqset"="C:\\Program Files\\HPQ\\Default Settings\\cpqset.exe"
"CARPService"="carpserv.exe"
"AOLDialer"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe"
"ISUSPM Startup"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\INSTAL~1\\UPDATE~1\\ISUSPM.exe -startup"
"ISUSScheduler"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\InstallShield\\UpdateService\\issch.exe\" -start"
"DVDTray"="C:\\Program Files\\HP DVD\\Umbrella\\DVDTray.exe"
"DVDBitSet"="C:\\Program Files\\HP DVD\\Umbrella\\DVDBitSet.exe /NOUI"
"AnyDVD"="\"C:\\Program Files\\SlySoft\\AnyDVD\\AnyDVD.exe\""
"HostManager"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1124465443\\ee\\AOLSoftware.exe"
"EPSON Stylus C64 Series"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\DRIVERS\\W32X86\\3\\E_S4I2C1.EXE /P23 \"EPSON Stylus C64 Series\" /O6 \"USB004\" /M \"Stylus C64\""
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\" -atboottime"
"iTunesHelper"="\"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunesHelper.exe\""
"NeroFilterCheck"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Ahead\\Lib\\NeroCheck.exe"
"Windows Defender"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MSASCui.exe\" -hide"
"MPFExe"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\McAfee.com\\PERSON~1\\MpfTray.exe"
"MCAgentExe"="c:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\agent\\mcagent.exe"
"MCUpdateExe"="c:\\PROGRA~1\\mcafee.com\\agent\\mcupdate.exe"
"VSOCheckTask"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\McAfee.com\\VSO\\mcmnhdlr.exe\" /checktask"
"VirusScan Online"="C:\\Program Files\\McAfee.com\\VSO\\mcvsshld.exe"
"OASClnt"="C:\\Program Files\\McAfee.com\\VSO\\oasclnt.exe"
"HP Software Update"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\HP Software Update\\HPWuSchd2.exe"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06\\bin\\jusched.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Micrsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
"MoneyAgent"="\"c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Money\\System\\mnyexpr.exe\""
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
"Aim6"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\Launch\\AOLLaunch.exe\" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp"
"AOL Fast Start"="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\AMERIC~1.0B\\AOL.EXE\" -b"

Edited by Eliot Ness, 14 April 2006 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Eliot Ness...

There are a couple of keys there that are set to run on start, which is normal for HP...we need to figure out which one generated the folder call. Let's take a look at a couple other things.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look for any entries involving HP and list them here for me.

wannabe1

Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look for any entries involving HP and list them here for me.

Thanks wannabe1! Here is what I found, and I listed everything that had an HP in the Startup name or in the Command line. She has recently installed the software for an HP inkjet printer, but she said the folder started opening a while before she installed the printer. It obviously bothers me a lot more than it does her, LOL!!

Startup Item.............Command

TvNow......................C:\Program Files\HPQ\...

hptasks.....................C:\Program Files\HPQ\...

OneTouch..................C:\Program Files\HPQ\...

hpmon05...................C:\Program Files\HPQ\...

cpqset.......................C:\Program Files\HPQ\...

DVDTray....................C:\Program Files\HP D\...

DVDBitSet...................C:\Program Files\HP D\...

HPWuSchd2.................C:\Program Files\HP\H...

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Edited by Eliot Ness, 14 April 2006 - 09:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's several in there that you don't really need, but I don't recognize hpmon05 at all. Deselect in under the Startup tab, "Apply" the change, click "Ok", and reboot.

Does the folder open on rebooting?

Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

There's several in there that you don't really need, but I don't recognize hpmon05 at all. Deselect in under the Startup tab, "Apply" the change, click "Ok", and reboot.

Does the folder open on rebooting?

Well it wasn't that one (hpmon05), so next I tried HPWuSchd2 and it wasn't that one either, so I deselected the other 6 that I listed and that took care of it. I then turned them on one at a time and found that I have to uncheck both DVDBitSet and DVDTray to keep the HP folder from opening on a reboot.

Do you think I should edit the registry or just leave them unchecked in msconfig?

Thanks!!!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Job!

Actually, I's leave it at disabling them in msconfig...they are both required files, but neither are required at startup. I still have found nothing on hpmon05. I'm quite curious about that one... :whistling:

Thanks for letting me know the result of your troubleshooting.

wannabe1

Eliot Ness

Eliot Ness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

.........Actually, I's leave it at disabling them in msconfig...they are both required files, but neither are required at startup. I still have found nothing on hpmon05. I'm quite curious about that one... :whistling: ...........

The only thing I could find on it doing a Google search is someone said it is an HPprinter monitor program.

Doing a previous Google search on the "folder opening up problem" I found where a missing quote(") or an added space in the registry could cause this problem, I just couldn't tell which entry it might have been.

I did uncheck a couple of things in msconfig a while back with no luck, so I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice. That laptop has so much crap loading at startup it is a royal pain to have to reboot so many times to narrow down the culprits. When I build one of the kids a computer XP runs runs so smooth and boots very quick until they start loading on a bunch of stuff like AIM, etc......... but they don't seem to mind.

Thanks again for your help!