Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading, need advice!

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
DOH! you should be able to find your mobo specs at http://usa.asus.com/ . As for a video card check this one out http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102677
And as for your sound card, do you really need a remote? You can get the X-Fi extreme music (the only one without a remote), for a lot less than platinum. And I can say that this card is AWESOME!! After I put mine in my computer sounds better than my home theater system. And for a PSU, check out Antec they make really nice stuff, the one I have has a suplemental fan that only comes on when it needs to. And as for RAM, if youre not planning on overclocking, I would try to find ECC ram I find thats its more stable and just works better. It is a little bit more expensive, but I think its worth it. Just my 2 cents.
-P.

Edited by p-zero, 18 April 2006 - 07:36 AM.

Advertisements

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well at this point,the only thing that *might* hold you back with the mobo would be getting a video card in the future. AGP is not really being supported anymore, so say in a year you want to upgrade, I doubt you could find a compatable card.

On the other hand, in a year you might want to upgrade your mobo anyways, since by then there will be new CPUs on the market that won't be compatable with your current one. Personally, I'd wait on the mobo, since truth be told, I doubt you would see much difference between a PCI-E and and AGP card.

As for the RAM, just make sure its 184-pin, PC3200 (DDR400) and you'll be good. That Corsair value select you posted is what I'm using right now, great stuff. It should run at 2.5-3-3-7 just like the one you are using right now, but if it doesn't its not that big of a deal.

Hard drive should be fine as long as its SATA150. I will work fine with whatever HD you have right now.

Get a case that has the number of bays you use right now +1. I just use a single CD drive and a single hard drive, and I don't plan on getting anymore anytime soon. I have room for more, but I only need what I'm using.

I'd recomend an x800xl for the vid card. Solid card, will run anything out there now, and will be fine for a good bit longer

Edited by JourneyMan, 18 April 2006 - 08:13 AM.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah, the card I got picked there is the x1300. I was lookin at the specs between the x1300 and x800, and it would appear that the 1300's better. Anyway, DOH! how much are you trying to spend? Because you might be able to put together another system for a little more than your upgrade.
-P.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
The x1300 only has 4 pixel pipes, the 800xts has 16, which is as much as you can get in an ATI chipset.

Last gen top end technology is always better than this gens mid to low end technology.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The x800xl is way faster than the x1300 in actual in game performance that is.

Edited by jrm20, 18 April 2006 - 09:22 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

The x1300 only has 4 pixel pipes, the 800xts has 16, which is as much as you can get in an ATI chipset.

As a quick correction its as much as you can get in that chipset the x1900s have a total of 48 pixel pipelines, irrelevant but im a stickler for accuracy, an x800XT is a fast card but still a bit pricey thers cheaper about.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Since you have a motherboard with agp you cannot get pci express video cards.

Edited by jrm20, 19 April 2006 - 07:46 AM.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well I dissapear for fear of being banned for being cheeky, and my thread blows up. I love you guys.

Thanks p-zero, journeyman, scot, and jrm. Now I will have to revise my check out list.

I have the money to fork out, as of now my cart sits at 800+.. Maybe it would be worth putting together a whole new system?

I dont know what all the talk is about pixel pipelines, ect. I just ask and for advice, and hope for the best. Because I know NOTHING about the hardware/internals of a computer, and what all the different numbers, and special features of different cards/hardware do.

Again thanks to all.

Edited by DOH!, 18 April 2006 - 11:50 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Well I dissapear for fear of being banned for being cheeky, and my thread blows up. I love you guys.

Thanks p-zero, journeyman, scot, and jrm. Now I will have to revise my check out list.

I have the money to fork out, as of now my cart sits at 800+.. Maybe it would be worth putting together a whole new system?

I dont know what all the talk is about pixel pipelines, ect. I just ask and for advice, and hope for the best. Because I know NOTHING about the hardware/internals of a computer, and what all the different numbers, and special features of different cards/hardware do.

Again thanks to all.

Well its up to you if you want a whole new pc. You might be better off with a new pc.

On the video card issue you cannot get a x1600xt or 7600gt unless you get a new motherboard with pci express. Your current motherboard has agp.

If you want to keep your current motherboard then get a 6800gs with agp 8x Interface or an x800xl with agp 8x.

If you get a new pci express motherboard then you will have many more choices on good video cards..

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Will you break it down to me, what does agp 8x Interface, and pci mean, I am trying to learn all of this stuff, so I am not lost in the woods when it comes to my computer hardware in the future.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
get this agp card if you want to keep your current motherboard.

http://www.tigerdire...92&Sku=P56-7024

Agp and pci express have different slots that insert into your mobo.

Pci express is newer technology and is faster.

Dont get pci confused with pci express..

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Again thanks to all.

I think youd be better off puttin together a whole new system especially if youre already up @ 800 bux. The newer technology, even if its not top of the line, is still going to be faster (more than likely) than what you have now. I kinda learned that the hard way myself after spending about 650 or so on my old rig. I shouldve just taken that money and put it towards a better cpu or whatever for my new rig.
At any rate, if you want help puttin together a good all around budget rig just ask.
-P

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I'm all ears on that one P, its really all I can do, cause I surely couldnt piece together a computer.