Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

static noise coming from my computer

• Please log in to reply

canada1

canada1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Out of the blue, I'll get static noise coming out of my speakers from my computer, a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP operating system. Even if I turn the speaker volume off, the static continues. The only alternative is to totally unplug the computer from the speaker system. The static lasts for about three minutes or so and is really loud and annoying. Is this a speaker problem or a computer problem? I've had the computer for less than a year and the problem is new, occuring in the last month or so. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It could be a speaker problem or a computer problem. The easiest thing to do would be to rule out the speakers first. Try using the speakers on another device, like a tape player or radio with a compatible jack and see if you hear static. Alternatively, try another set of speakers on your computer (maybe borrow some from a friend temporarily just to troublehoot?). If the problem follows the speakers if you try that method, then you know the problem is in the speakers. Ff you try another set of speakers on your computer and still have the same problem, the cause is the computer.