Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sorting in Excel 2003

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have a long list of things with one column containing dates in the format: January 01, 2001.

I'd like to sort by the date column by Month and Date, with January 01 being the first row and December 31 being the last row, regardless of year. However, everytime I sort, it sorts it by year. Even when I followed the help offered in Excel itself, where it told me to click "options" under sort and choose the month option, it still sorted by year.

Any help would be appreicated.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi Mike...again,

How are your columns formatted?

Is it like this?

Date Data Data 2 Data 3

Or like this?

Day Month Year Data

Let me know.

Cheers:)

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have one column with the entire date in it (in the following format: January 01, 2001).

I wanted to sort it so all the months would be clumbed together in order regardless of the year but couldn't seem to get it to sort properly when sorting by the column that had the date in it.

I figured a workaround for it, though. I created an additional column and put in the formula "=MONTH(B1)" so that this additional column would show the number for the month (January=01, February=02, etc.). I then sorted by this additional column.

It got the result of was looking for, but there has to be an easier way to do it.