Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP DVD Green Screen

• Please log in to reply

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello, all.

Don't know if you do DVD help but thought I'd ask.

I've got a fairly new laptop running XP. I've watched several DVD's without a problem. Suddenly, "All About Eve" (Bette Davis' greatest performance, some say) goes green.

The green started at first as soon as the film started. I popped it out and put it in again, restarting a couple of times. The green stopped. Now, halfway or more through the film, the green is back. It goes from a totally green screen to large chunks of green, back and forth.

What's this and how do I fix it? I'm in Region 2 and the DVD is PAL Region 2.

Thank you!

Amanda

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I would suggest trying out VLC, commended by the Click online people of the BBC. It just about plays everything you can throw at it.

vlc
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Feedback, good or bad is always welcome.

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hello, all.

Don't know if you do DVD help but thought I'd ask.

I've got a fairly new laptop running XP. I've watched several DVD's without a problem. Suddenly, "All About Eve" (Bette Davis' greatest performance, some say) goes green.

The green started at first as soon as the film started. I popped it out and put it in again, restarting a couple of times. The green stopped. Now, halfway or more through the film, the green is back. It goes from a totally green screen to large chunks of green, back and forth. It goes green when I pause and go into PLAYBACK. I've found that by stopping it and starting it, the green goes away - for a time, anyway.

Total green does not suit Miss Davis.

What's this and how do I fix it? I'm in Region 2 and the DVD is PAL Region 2.

Thank you!

Amanda

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Woman.

What's this and how do I fix it?

Yip, sound like a graphics problem.

I suggest you update your graphics drivers (If you dont know where to find them, let me know what graphics card you have.) Also I think it is best you get the latest codecs for your PC.

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

Once you have updated your drivers and installed codecs, let me know if there is still a problem or not. Cool :whistling:

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hey Spike.

Just when I was going to do the graphics thing, I can't even play a DVD now. I went in to remove MSN messenger, spaced out for one sec, and removed something else as well. Something about DMX.exe.

As for the download, it says codecs are for movies downloaded from the Net. Will this solve my problem (the green screen on DVD's in playback mode) as well?

Thanks for the help!

/Amanda

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hey Flea!

I don't think it's the player - more likely a driver problem - but thanks for your input!

/Amanda

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The klite codec pack is codecs for absolutley everything.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, their advice is sound, here is that link again, half way down you will see a line that reads download, pls click on it. To explain a little more there are many types of film type media out there, that media can be on DVDs or direct downloads from the Internet, so now we have a battle between each media company thinking their way of reading media is best so instead of one simple way of reading media on a DVD there are now umpteen formats of media and therefore umpteen codexs(reading codes) for making sense of them. I suggested VLC because it is pretty good having a lot of codexs to it but forget that for the moment and just download klite as that should upgrade you player then.

http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Thanks guys for your help!

I've downloaded the basic program from the link you gave me, Flea. Tomorrow morning I'll pop Miss Davis in my DVD player, use playback, and see if she goes green again.

I was hoping this fix would allow me to watch a couple of multi-regional DVD's I have that for some reason my laptop won't read but no such luck. Ah, well...!

I'll let you know tomorrow if the download has helped my green screen!

/Amanda

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
UPDATE

Looks like it's helped! Thanks, guys!