Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Problem - SP2

• Please log in to reply

gopher213

gopher213

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Wondering if anyone could help me...
I've got two computers, one connected via BT Broadband (ADSL). Installed a wireless router and two wireless adapters. Having problems... Both computers can access the wireless profile and connect to the router, but cannot see each other (or share the internet connection). Uninstalled zone alarm (doesn't work with ICS), and have tried messing with windows firewall also. Make of adapters/router: Sitecom. I am using the xp sp2 built in wireless config stuff. Computers don't even seem to see each other on the MSHOME domain. Also wise to note that I tried PING against from client to host and got 50% loss.

Advertisements

gopher213

gopher213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok. Now sorted the file sharing, have installed netbeui protocol, which has solved it.

Problem still remains with ICS though. I've read that ICS sets the IP of internal LAN card on the host to 192.168.0.1. Trouble is, my router is 192.168.123.254. Is this a problem? All i'm getting is a gateway that shows a status of connected at 1bps.

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
How come your using ICS?

Why not connect the ADSL to the WAN port on the router, configure the router to get online and then connect the computers wireless to the router.

gopher213

gopher213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the idea, but the reason i haven't connected to the WAN port is that it is a usb modem, and an ethernet wan port. I've solved the problem now, as i've returned the router and swapped for another one. It's worked first time.