Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB hub and mouse/keyboard

• Please log in to reply

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
My girlfriend has a SFF Aopen EZ18 system. Here are the specs:

AMD Sempron 2500+
Aopen MB w/NVIDIA nForce2 with IGP Northbridge and MCP-T Southbridge
2x512GB Corsair ValueRAM
WD 80GB HDD (IDE)
LG CDRW
ATI Radeon 1600 Pro (AGP)
Aopen 220W PSU (came with system)
Powered HP USB Hub (used another one with same symptoms)
USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB HP 3940 Printer, USB Fuji Digital Camera docking station
Aopen link here

I didn't notice any problems until I swapped the Radeon into the system for an nVidia 5200 (PCI). Not long after having installed the the video card, the mouse stopped responding. On further inspection I realized that if I plugged it into a free USB port on the system rather than the hub, the mouse would work fine, but if I switched it back into the hub, the little light for an active port would light momentarily, Windows would see the device, then the light would go out on the hub, and Windows would tell me there was a problem installing the device. If I plugged the mouse back into system directly, the problem would disappear. I duplicated the same symptoms with the keyboard. This whole time, the HP printer plugged into the hub had its active port light lit. I tried unplugging everything from the hub and plugging it in the system and Windows saw it just fine. I plugged in the mouse, and the problem re-occurred.

I can't understand that it's a power issue...especially since it is a powered hub. I actually had this problem with another hub first and switched to the HP hub, but the problem persists.

I am about to remove the ports in Windows and let Windows re-install them, but is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can try
1) updating bios
2) select the usb hubs in device manager and disable power management feature that says ALLOW WINDOWS TO DISABLE DEVICE TO CONSERVER POWER

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I looked at the hub in device manager, but I wasn't able to find the location to control Windows' power management

ThunderT

ThunderT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Just to add, I did a USB 2.0 driver update (from Aopen) and also flashed to the newest BIOS (1.12c) but the mouse still does not function unless it's plugged directly to the system. I have a flash thumbdrive that works perfectly fine in the hub, as well as the HP printer.