Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will an EM64T Intel processor work with my motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have a PC built by "Advent", a UK computer group that manufacturs systems for the most popular retailers. It currently has an Intel Pentium 4 560 3.6Ghz 1MB L2 cache CPU, which I am looking to upgrade to a 660 with a 2MB L2 cache. Sounds simple enough. However, the 660 has "EM64T", and I quote from Intel:
"Intel® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS."

I'm not even bothered about 64-bit, just the L2 cache, but according to this, I need a BIOS and chipset enabled for EM64T just to use the CPU! Sooooo, how do I check/update my BIOS and chipset for EM64T?

According to SiS Sandra:
Mainboard
Manufacturer: Freeline (about which I can find practically no information)
MPS Version: 1.40
Model: Freeline Series
Version: 1.0
System BIOS: 03/16/2005-Grantsdale-6A79DM4GC-00
Chipset: Intel 915G/GV (Grantsdale)

BIOS
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies Ltd
Version: 6.00 PG

Thanks!

Edited by tomdrayson, 16 April 2006 - 08:44 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is from the intel website.

Intel EM64T represents a natural addition to Intel's computing architecture, allowing platforms to access larger amounts of memory. Processors with Intel EM64T support 64-bit capable operating systems from Microsoft, Red Hat and SuSE. Processors running in legacy mode remain fully compatible with today's existing 32-bit applications and operating systems.

Freeline motherboards are made by trigem. Hers some information on them.

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/

Then there is this on the intel website for intel 915 chipset motherboards.

Intel® EM64T requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel EM64T. Processor will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel EM64T-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. Intel EM64T-enabled OS, BIOS, device drivers and applications may not be available. See www.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/ for more information including details on which processors support Intel EM64T or consult with your system vendor for more information.

On this webpage about 2/3's the way down you can download a pdf on which processors are EM64T and how to enable it.

http://www.intel.com...sions/index.htm

Personally i don't see why you would want to upgrade a 3.4 to a 3.6. It just isn't that much of a upgrade to be worth the effort.

SRX660

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have already looked on the Intel site, and quoted part of what you did in my original post.... And I am not upgrading from a 3.4 to a 3.6, I am upgrading from a 3.6 1MB L2 cache to a 3.6 2MB L2 cache, which, based on what I have read so far, does actually make a significant difference.
Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 16 April 2006 - 03:59 PM.