Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOS! Calling all tech geeks! Mayday! Mayday! Yaaarggh&

• Please log in to reply

SSJGokuKrillinVegetaBulma

SSJGokuKrillinVegetaBulma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings denizens of the Internet, I have questions about a new SLi (more low-end by NVIDIA's standards) machine that I wish to purchase. Now, with my limited knowledge (read: I researched quickly and sloppily) of these tech-no-lo-gy science computer machines; I have come up with the following specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
PSU: Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply
Fan: AMD Athlon 64 Certified CPU FAN & Heatsink + 3 Extra Case Fans
HDD: 200GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0, IEEE-1394, &7.1Audio
Memory: 1GB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS PRO High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader & LED Lights
Video cards: x2 NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card

Other specs include:

Case: X-Discovery Mid-Tower Case 420W w/ Window & LCD Temperature Display
Optical drive 1: 16X DVD ROM
Optical drive 2: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Dual Layer
Cable: Round Cable Upgrade for Hard Drive, Optical Drive & Floppy Drive
Floppy: 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
IEEE Card: IEEE 1394 Card and Driver
Monitor: ViewSonic Q7B 17" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor
Modem: PCI 56K V.92 Fax Modem w/ voice
Network: Onboard 10/1000 Network Card
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2
Pro Wiring: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU
Sound card: Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
UPS: OPTI-UPS SS1200 AVR Voltage Stabilizer
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports

Now, what I want to know is if I can expect any issues to arise if I were to lower my processor to a 3700+; such as not being able to run SLi at all or a major difference in performance if I actually run it? The reason as to why I am asking this is because of NVIDIA's guide on SLi machines; the "entry-level" SLi category comes with a 4000+ CPU and I guess that is required to run it. Am I completely wrong in my assumptions? Another thing that I wish to ask is if my PSU and cooling system are enough to prevent my computer from overheating and if that UPS will prevent my surge protector from going up in a blaze. I am open to suggestions about changes in specs that will hopefully cost less.

If it helps, the current cost of the PC is $1,648 and I plan to buy it from cyberpowerpc.com; if you know any other online stores that have cheaper prices, please don't refrain from informing me (PLEASE!!). I deeply appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

P.S: Be gentle. :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SLI is totally independant of the CPU it could run with a 3000+ or an fx60 its irrelevant its down to the motherbord and the cards you use, that said having seen the prices and performances of 7600GTs i would probably go single cards, dont be tempted by SLI as its "the next big thing" its not its a system to give high resolution monitor users better FPS nothing more nothing less, its a good thing if you have a HUGE monitor but otherwise its basically a way to get you to buy two cards and replace two cards at a time, i would probably rather go for a single 7900 or X1900 card. You certainly dont need SLI on a 17" viewsonic.

Also if you go for the non Pro version of that memory either the XMS or even the value it will save money, unless you really need pretty LED lights i wouldnt bother it wont give you any better performance.