Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access web sites via IE6 browser

• Please log in to reply

slk230red

slk230red

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am using XP SP2, IE6. Starting on the evening of 4/13/06, I could only access web sites using the address bar by typing in the entire address. Before this, for example, I only had to type amazon.com or www.amazon.com in the address bar to access the amazon site. Now it just goes nowhere. If I type in http://amazon.com it works and http://www.amazon.com also works. Also, links work and addresses in my favorites work.
I have run antivirus and spyware but I still have the problem. I also restored defaults in IE.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

slk230red

slk230red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I found the problem.... Windows XP update #KB908531 that was downloaded during automatic updates at 3:00 am on 4/15/06.
I removed this update and Explorer works like it did before.
I found this fix at another site that happened to a user on the same date.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Awesoem help but how i do i remove just that update?
Please Help!!

slk230red

slk230red

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Go to control panel,add/remove programs, check include updates box at top of page, scroll down to Update #KB908531, then remove.

Good Luck

Kirk Callaway

Kirk Callaway

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I also had a similar problem. Coincidentally, Ad-Aware and Spybot also quit functioning. They would scan to about 80% and then freeze. Hope Microsoft is listening. The security update you have to remove might actually be important!!