Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with the hal.dll error......

• Please log in to reply

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i didnt evan realise that was a link.. but before i came on here i googled for awhile and found someone talking about doing the same thng.. so i actually already did that but i just tried it again just in case and everythings still the same.. but like i said before i put my name as something different when i repaired windows so do you think i should do the repair option again but put the name i had before all these problems happened?

Advertisements

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well i just tried what i was saying in the above post and back when i re-installed windows i named my computer the same name so it says i cant use it...

so it looks like its up to the recovery console....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hype85

Let's go into Recovery Console and try the following:

Select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press "Enter".

Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press "Enter".

At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press "Enter":

expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\Windows\system32

If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.

Type exit, and press "Enter" at the command prompt.

Reboot. Does Windows load successfully?

wannabe1

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
windows loaded successfully...

im using someone elses computer but ill keep refreshing and try not to long to reply.. thanks again for all the help so far....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool! :whistling:

Now we'll need to edit the boot.ini file.

Click "Start" and then "Control Panel". Double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. Click on the "Edit" button. Copy/Paste the contents of the notepad window to your next reply.

wannabe1

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disc(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=option /fastdetect yes

i had to copy and paste it the old fashioned way by writing it on a piece of paper and typing it but i double checked it and everything should be exact...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like you are good to go! :whistling:

How's it running?

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the computer is running good.. but all the problems are still there like the audio files wont play and everything else...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I need a little break, been at this for hours. Then we'll take on the rest of these issues. :whistling:

wannabe1

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no problem take all the time you need :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok, hype85...

What all have you done in regards to the sound files?

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i just meant they still dont play.. im still getting the same error from when this first happened the "theres something wrong with your sound device" error.. basically everythings exactly the same as it was when i made this post.. im also still getting the configuration error when i try to re-install my sbc internet thats making me unable to update all my other drivers...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All righty then...I'll need to know more about your machine. Download WinAudit from the link in my signature and run it on your machine...you can transfer both the application and the report by floppy or cd. Save a report in HTML format to the desktop. This will generate 3 files...I will only need the one named "rightframe.html". Send it to me by e-mail (I'll PM you with my address).

Give me a bit to review the report and we'll see if we can get things back in order. :whistling:

wannabe1

hype85

hype85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
alright thanks.. i just sent it to you...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Couple of quick questions...

Are you using the USB Network Device?

Do you have the Disk for your machine that contains the drivers?