Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

G4m3w1z

G4m3w1z

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I am very new to building PCs. In fact, I haven't any knowledge on it, really. I'd like to have a gaming PC within a 1300$ US dollar price range. I live in California.

I'm not exactly sure what I need, I was hoping someone could help me put one together. I want this solely for gaming, as the title and my reference to it in the first paragraph says. I'd LIKE to be able to run it on high settings, and still get a really smooth FPS, if this is possible for ~1300 dollars. If anyone could help me put one together or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

The game I play the most is World of Warcraft, so it would be centered around this, but not ignoring other aspects of play. Venice or Dual Core is preferred, but if you can go with something else that will definitely get the job done, then so be it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi, I am very new to building PCs. In fact, I haven't any knowledge on it, really. I'd like to have a gaming PC within a 1300$ US dollar price range. I live in California.

I'm not exactly sure what I need, I was hoping someone could help me put one together. I want this solely for gaming, as the title and my reference to it in the first paragraph says. I'd LIKE to be able to run it on high settings, and still get a really smooth FPS, if this is possible for ~1300 dollars. If anyone could help me put one together or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

The game I play the most is World of Warcraft, so it would be centered around this, but not ignoring other aspects of play. Venice or Dual Core is preferred, but if you can go with something else that will definitely get the job done, then so be it.

Thanks!

$1013.00
CASE: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Silver Color)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 3700+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)GigaByte GA-K8N PRO-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset Dual PCIE MB w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT 256MB PCI Express x16 Video Card
VIDEO CARD 2: NONE
LCD Monitor: NONE
HARD DRIVE: 200GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive -- Recommended
Hard Drive 2: NONE
Optical Drive: COMBO DRIVE (16X DVD-ROM & 52x32x52 CD-RW) (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Ill start if off from there, thats a solid system. You can upgrade things as you wish, a monitor or whatever you want but thats fine for what you will be doing..

I started off on this pc its a solid pc to start on and pick what you want...

http://www.cyberpowe...a64pcie.asp?v=d

**edit** it would be easier if you just had them build for you and ship it to you..

Make shure when you go to configure it you select an operating system for it, I chose win xp with service pack 2 home edition.

Edited by jrm20, 17 April 2006 - 08:46 AM.

Lord_Awesome

Lord_Awesome

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
•AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz HT Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000BNBOX - $334
•ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - $105.99
•CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - $72.00
•Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window - $99.99
•Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 3.5" IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - $110
•ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900 100-714800 Video - $439.00
•Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE Sound Card - $28.99
•Tyris T701DB Black 17" 8ms (Tr: 2ms + Tf: 6ms) DVI LCD Monitor - $189.99
Totals about $1379.96 without shipping.

All this is available on Newegg.com

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
CyberPower System is possibly the best place to get a custom computer. That's where I made the one in my sig. The customer service was amazing, got to change my order 3 days after putting it in and got the computer a week before they estimated!

That system is good, but I would upgrade to 1 gig of RAM and make the Optical Drive silver, like the case. I don't like when things on the front don't match the rest of the case. :blink:

Also if you can squeeze it in there add a second optical drive. Just fiddle around with it, that's part of the reason CyberPower is so great. The flexibility of that website is phenominal. Play around with it :whistling:

But I highly recommend using CyberPower to build it.

}BP{

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From what i have seen cyberpower is pretty good they still cant compare with building your own system.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Those all look pretty good but i was wondering WHATS THE POINT OF GETTING AN SLI BOARD IF YOURE ONLY RUNNING 1 VIDEO CARD???
Anyway, look at my signature, I run EVERY game at max video settings, total price on it was around $1200 shipped without the soundcard, monitor and speakers. Stay away from the case I got (even though it looks SWEET) it has some mobo cooling issues and it was rather expensive. Also, the motherboard I have is really sweet , but the BIOS's that are out for it arent too good, the sli premium motherboard works really well and is about $80-100 cheaper. Anyway, my suggestion to you is if you get an SLI motherboard dont waste your $$$ on a 7900 GT for $400-500, get 2 6800 gs, gt (whatever) for $100-120 each, run in sli you will get basically the same performace at half the price. I got all that at newegg.com.
-P.
PS: The $1200 pice tag also included an asus DVD-rw drive and a sony 3.5 floppy (for BIOS updates).

Edited by p-zero, 17 April 2006 - 01:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you save cash on the cards but you spend an extra 50 bucks on a SLI mobo and have to get a larger PSU, and you have doubled the chance of fault and failure, your PCs heat output is drastically increased, and you have two cards to somehow get rid of instead of one when you upgrade.

And ive looked on newegg the 6800 pickings are slim and not that cheap either. One of the best cards to get now is the 7600 its cheap and its fairly fsat it has its disadvantages like the 128bit memory interface but its fast enough to compensate for it.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
True you spend extra on the board but youre still saving about $100-200 in the long run.
-P.
PS: Nice monkey scot 8).

G4m3w1z

G4m3w1z

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks a lot! I have a couple questions.

What is all the hype about dual core, and why would it matter if I got a dual core processor or not.

And does it matter if I get an SLI board if I'm not going to run SLI?

Lord_Awesome

Lord_Awesome

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the dual core probably isn't what you're looking for. It is made for people who will be running multiple extremely demanding applications simultaneously. Such as a video editing software, audio creation software, and photo editing software. If this computer is specifically for gaming the Dual Core processor isn't necessary, because you NORMALLY wouldn't be running multiple games at once. The data transported only needs the one pipe to go through. The dual core provides two pipes so the data can travel through the quickest pipe, and not freeze your computer.

G4m3w1z

G4m3w1z

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, but it's like, ONLY 76 dollars, I thought why not just upgrade to the 3800+ Dual Core? Will it make it any SLOW if I have it? I'd think not considering the way it works, or at least how you explained it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well not neccesarily any threaded applications will benefit from dual core, and games which arent threaded arent detrementally effected and more and more games have some form of dual core support and it would offer the longest life time as most new apps will gani a benefit from a dual core cpu.

Its not neccesary but its a good thing to have.