Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card Cd Rom

• Please log in to reply

aaronfleming

aaronfleming

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Everyone,

I have been doing some searching and havn't found much on running the cdrom via soundcard from a bootdisk..

My mum got this computer from a garage sale for 10 bucks and i was/am going to reload it with ME instead of the corrupt 98 running on it.. My problem is that the cdrom runs through the soundcard.. I know that i can run the cdrom from that, and i have done it before, about 5-8 years ago so i can't remember.. Can someone maybe give me the details about the setting i need to put in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files. i believe i have the system file need for the cdrom (sbcd.sys)..

It is a sound blaster 16 card and a creative cdrom.. no model number..

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you install the soundblaster software, either from a CD or from their site, it will make the changes to the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat entries

98 is more stable than ME

If you upgrade a corrupt system, the errors could carry over

If you clean install, the CD Rom / Soundcard won't be an issue

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

My mum got this computer from a garage sale for 10 bucks and i was/am going to reload it with ME instead of the corrupt 98 running on it.. My problem is that the cdrom runs through the soundcard.. I know that i can run the cdrom from that, and i have done it before, about 5-8 years ago so i can't remember.. Can someone maybe give me the details about the setting i need to put in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files. i believe i have the system file need for the cdrom (sbcd.sys)..

ME doesn't parse Config.Sys and Autoexec.bat on startup like Windows 98 does, therefore there's no point in including the entries for them in those files as they will just be ignored.

You should be able to just install ME and then the drivers for that card later, if Windows doesn't have drivers for them already.

aaronfleming

aaronfleming

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm sorry i mustn't have explained probably, my bad..

I can't install windows or anything becuase the boot disk i have isn't setup to find the cdrom on the soundcard ide... i was looking for the setting for the files to put in the files on the bootdisk

Thanks