Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oblivion problem

• Please log in to reply

highzaz

highzaz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i just got oblivion and it runs at 5fps i can run half life2, doom3 and they run great whats the deal.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
System specs are going to be needed, Oblivion is much more demanding than HL2 and even doom3, the top of the range cards can run HL2 and doom 3 easily even a X1900XT struglles with oblivion.

There are a few tweaks that you can use for oblivion to get it working better though.

highzaz

highzaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
2.8g P4 HT 800fsb
1g ddr 400 Corsair ram
Nvidia GeForce FX 5600xt 256

what kind of tweaks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.tweakguid...Oblivion_9.html

What are the settings like.

highzaz

highzaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
all the way down

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try the tweaks there might be a couple that can disable some of the pixel shaders for you which would be the problem on an FX card probably, also i would update the drivers. Is it just oblivion with the problem.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
As WarriorScot told me, Oblivion is stupid. It set my specs on high and barely ran at a mere 12 FPS. Now, after being told this, I turned off bloom (much much much to my dismay) and medium-fied the settings, now it's running at about 30 FPS everywhere. So don't believe what the system default is, tweak things up and down, fool with it 'til you get what you like!

And, as general knowledge, if this helps, Oblivion is highly video card dependent unlike it's older brother Morrowind. So if you find you have to upgrade something, make it your video card :whistling:

See my system below and that runs it fine...if you don't mind toning down the amazingness. And if you decide to upgrade the video card...get a Radeon X800XT (or nVidia equivalent if you must :help: ) or higher. The GTO I have doesn't really live up to what I was expecting :blink:

}BP{