Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Underclocked Processor

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I recently installed a new processor on my aging motherboard. The board is a Gigabyte GA-7VRX ver 2.0 (socket A) and the processor is a Sempron 2400+ (1.667 GHz). After installing the processor, it registered at only 1.0 GHz in both the BIOS and Windows. I immeadiately adjusted the motherboard settings to run at 133 MHz with a multiplier of 12.5. However, the processor now only registers as a 1500+ running at 1.33 GHz. According to the motherboard manual, however, it says it supports processors above 1.4 GHz. Are there other settings that I am not changing, or did I miss something? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think your bus speed set in the bios should be at 166, not 133. According to the AMD website you have the 333 bus on the processor. My athlon 2400 is a 266 bus processor so the FSB is at 133. My Athlon barton 2600 processor is a 333 bus so the FSB is set at 166.

SRX660

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks. Not only was that the case, but I needed a BIOS upgrade in order for the it to recognize anything past and including the 2400+ series.