Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows could not start...

• Please log in to reply

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I am need of some serious :whistling: I got this message out of the blue today when I was booting up. "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt" \Windows\System32\Config\System

It later goes on to say use the XP CD key to possibly to a repair and I have the XP CD but I have no idea how to repair this file. Is there a way I can just repair this file and lose no data? You guys have always been a big help hopefully someone can get my PC on track again.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the method you use to fix this is explained here

http://support.micro...spx?kbid=307545

Given the nature of your error message, you do not need to restore each registry hive, but only the SYSTEM one.

Be forewarned...this fix is about 50-50 it seems

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
It wouldnt allow me to copy the files it says to in part one.

am I out of luck?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Crimedogg32...

Is this a branded machine such as Dell or HP?

wannabe1

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
no custon PC I got parts from newegg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! :whistling:

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I should have said I already tried that. On the third picture I dont get the option to repair just create or delete a partition on the bottom using C or D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you enter Recovery Console by pressing R on the first screen?

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
yes

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Enter Recovery Console and select the Windows installation that you want to repair, then type the administrator password (if you have not set a password, press "Enter").

Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press "Enter".

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All) Type Y and press "Enter"

Enter Load Identifier:
Type either Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition depending on which you have installed.

Enter OS Load options: Press "Enter"

After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, let me know and we'll edit the boot.ini file so you won't have further problems.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...duplicate reply. The board seems a bit glitchy today...

Edited by wannabe1, 17 April 2006 - 04:38 PM.

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I entered Recovery Console and selected C:/Windows (didnt ask for any kind of password) I did the following steps and then rebooted my PC. I didnt click any buttons and it went back to same screen that I mentioned first post. Was I suppose to do anything to get the boot menu to pop up?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You shouldn't have had to. Try tapping F8 during boot and choose the top option.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's go back into Recovery Console and try the following:

Select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press "Enter".
Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press "Enter".
At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press "Enter":

expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\Windows\system32

If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y.

Type exit, and press "Enter" at the command prompt.

Reboot. Does Windows load successfully?

Crimedogg32

Crimedogg32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
ok Windows did load successfully then. The weird thing was it told me to pick Windows XP Home or Microsoft Windows XP Home. I picked the top one (Just Plain Windows) is that what I want and anything else to keep the problem from coming back?