Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Conflicting Ip's

• Please log in to reply

iodine

iodine

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok this is whats going on. I am sharing internet with a friend of mine across the road. via a wireless usb box. I have a network card and a router. So I decided to take and build a computer for my gf. and run a network so she can get on to. But unfortunantly when I click to share internet access it says theres a confliction of IP addresses. The default for it is 192.168.0.1 is there a way to change this into a custom setting? So your not having a conflicting IP address. no Ip addresses save this one can be changed. My gf's can be changed as well because its new but my friends computer cannot be, because of other reasons. I'd like some help on this matter. I'm running windows xp home edition. and I've spent most of my day off working on it. I've had 2 hours of sleep in 26 hours, so needless to say I'm gettting frustrated.

Advertisements

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
have you checked the TCP/IP settings on all network connections?

The wireless and local connection TCP/IP should be set to "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automattically". If set to "use the following ... ", clear it out and set to automatic

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
still not working. Just went through to the gf compy and mine and set it to obtain automatically and it still isn't working. My guess is my friends computer is operating at 192.168.0.1 I need to just change the default of the share IP. If I can do that then I can fix the problem unfortunantly every one I talk to either looks down at sharing internet access across the yard or doesn't like me or doesn't know how to do it. This is my 5th forum thread tonight on different forums. I actually lost internet connection though when I turned everything on automatic.

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
question ...

what's your setup?

Friend pc --- Friend router (((wireless ))) Your router ---- PC

what's your friends router LAN IP and your router IP? are they both 192.168.0.1? Is so, someone needs to change thiers to 192.168.0.2.

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll be back but there has to be a way to change the default into a custom I'm sure theres a way. I'm pretty sure my friend is the one conflicting my Ip but he doesn't wanna change it. So I have to adapt to it.

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You would need to log into the router and change the settings there. Try trying in 192.168.0.1 in the browser. All routers are different, it could be any where there

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
lol, yeah thats it but I need a user name and password
And wonder what the [bleep] it is, lol. muhahaha I found it, lol why in the world would anyone make the user name and password one of the no no's of user names and passwords, lol

Edited by iodine, 17 April 2006 - 09:40 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try admin and password or admin and leave password blank

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Now I have to figure out what the [bleep] I'm supposed to change, lol

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have the computers got the same name?

Advertisements

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no they shouldn't be the router was setup for the ip address of 192.168.0.1 I changed it to 192.168.0.13 lol, but guess what still no go. something else is causing the conflict.
I'll go through what I'm doing again.
I have a friend who allows me to use her internet access via wireless connection. I have a onboard network, I plugged my cable into that and ran it into a router. I have it in slot one should I have that in my wan slot? well anyways, I ran a cable downstares to another computer and have it set up to read from this computer to read from the internet. unfortunantly every time I go to enable sharing of the internet connection it says theres already a computer with 192.168.0.1 on the network and they are conflicting. If I change my settings back to automatic I lose internet connection so I can't change that but there must be something in the router.

Edited by iodine, 17 April 2006 - 09:52 PM.

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Now that I come to think about it why would the setting be in my router I'm not going through my router to get to the internet. My internet is hooked up to an external box that then goes wireless, its usb, and goes to the back of my computer. Then my network cable comes from the back of my computer and into the router. so it should be programming some where in my computer not router.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could be quicker to start a new topic here

http://www.geekstogo...orking-f11.html

If I move this it will get overlooked because it already has replies

iodine

iodine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
oh wow... I got the wireless to share but the computer down stares still isn't connected. Now I'm at a loss I'm subject to scrutiny and word beatings, throw your knowledge at me and my eye will be a willful reader.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Techs who frequent the Network forum will be able to answer it quickly