Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

table layout to css layout help

• Please log in to reply

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
my site is http://hrvoje.pandela.net. i'm changing the layout from tables to css. for my header i'm using a div now instead of table and i'm going to do the same for the bar with the clock (and use apsolute positioning instead of that blank gif). but i'm afraid that now i might be ending up using only divs instead of only tables, but i'm not sure yet. did i do a good desicion witht the header or should i do something else with it?

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Looks fine.. why not just get rid of those tables you are using for layout all together?

What you have opn your site can be done and with much less code using CSS.

Good start!!

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
The best way to switch to a full CSS layout (which is the way to go), is to make a temporary style that outlines all "TABLE" elements with a visible (maybe 2 px solid red) border. Then you know what divs you need. When you get that far, you can start taking all your display code out of your index.html file. From there all that info goes into the CSS file, and allows your markup to be much cleaner. All tags will only have a "class" or "id" attribute; which makes reading the markup a heck of a lot easier.

If you're looking for a good example of CSS compliant sites and layouts, check out OSWD. Good luck man, and let me know how it goes.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
it doesn't work, i don't know why, maybe u can take a look at the code?

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I'd be glad to. I'm alittle busy with some other stuff, but I'll give it a look and see what I can do. I can at least outline all of your design elements...then we can go from there. Go ahead and PM me (with the actual .php file. ). Hopefully we can get something done.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
wow thanks a lot! i didn't think i'd find someone willing to do that!

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
That's what we're here for man. Thank me when we get something done :whistling: (Heck, maybe I'll even learn some croation...)