Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Boot problems

• Please log in to reply

topsy

topsy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling: My Computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 series with a windows XP Home edition OS
I made the mistake of deleting my Norton Anti virus a few days ago. Now, I cannot boot as it displays this message everytime I switch on:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I need help because the comp came loaded with XP from the manufacturer and I do not have any bootable disks except a windows XP OS CD from DELL.

Anyone? Thanks

Topsy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does that cd allow you to get to the recovery console or does it just completely return the computer to factory setup? (does it actually say windows on it...or does it just say system recovery disk)

topsy

topsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The cd is the reinstallation cd for the os that came with the comp.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what does the cd say on it

topsy

topsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The cd says:

Reinstallation CD
Microsoft Windows XP Home edition

only use this cd to reinstall the os on a Dell computer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok it's a dell recovery cd..hmm...i'm gonna get you to do some stuff to see if we can get your system repaired without having to reinstall everything...

boot to that cd and see if it gives you an option to repair or anything that says recovery console (just see if that option is there...if the ONLY option you see is to reinstall windows....DON'T do anything)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....while we're checking t his option out...see if you can get ahold of a friend who has an actual XP home cd (not a recovery cd but actual XP home)

topsy

topsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Let me try and get a proper Xp edition cd. I will get back to you. Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll cross my fingers as that will make this task much easier

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Dsnette, I'm GUESSING this (so don't do it yet), but here is a link to the "hal.dll" file download: http://www.dll-files...files.shtml?hal.

Can't that be copied to the /system32/ dir?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF they could boot to windows...OR the recovery console....it is possible that maybe the file could be coppied from a 98 boot disk...but once again...that would best be done from RC...also the MS reference on fixing the HAL.dll error involves a fixboot not actually reinstalling the file...as it's probably not really gone...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
er...bootcfg not fixboot

topsy

topsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an XP bootable disk now! What do I do next?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's try this first..if she don't work we'll try another step

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive one or both of the following error messages:

Invalid Boot.ini
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Windows\System32\Hal.dll

CAUSE
This issue may occur if the Boot.ini file is missing, damaged, or contains incorrect entries.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, start the computer from the Windows XP CD, start the Recovery Console, and then use the Bootcfg.exe tool to rebuild the Boot.ini file. To do this, follow these steps:
  • Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or contact your computer manufacturer.
  • Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
  • When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER. If you don't remember setting one, try pressing Enter without a password.
  • At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.
  • At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
    [1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
    Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

• Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.

topsy

topsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Though the cd boots on my laptop(win xp) it does not boot with the procedure you listed in your last thread!