Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office 2003 - Word, Excel, Outlook freezing!

• Please log in to reply

luckiesal

luckiesal

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Is there anybody with an answer to my problems???? and that's software problems. I have been trying all day to sort this out and it still isn't working.

When I am in Word or Excel or Outlook (basically Microsoft Office) and I try to open a document the Open pop up window appears but when I click the folder or if i get as far as the file i want to open the program just freezes.

IF and it's a big IF... I manage to open the document, I can make changes but cannot save them using the Save As feature as it freezes the program. I can if i use the save feature. If i start a new document it does not allow me to save the document it freezes the whole program.

I am stuck.

Can anyone help please

Luckiesal :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word, click help then detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts

Do you have HP share to web installed

luckiesal

luckiesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I'm not aware that I have HP Share to Web... I have just looked in my Program folder, was that where I would have found it?

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's unlikely to be there if you do not have HP hardware

It has been causing problems with Office

luckiesal

luckiesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The detect and repair has finished.

I tried word again and yet again it has frozen when trying to use the save as option. The only way to close the application is to use Control+Alt+Delete and it says that Word is Not Responding.

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got Norton Anti Virus

luckiesal

luckiesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, But i have got pretty much everything else which I have followed and installed from the guide on this site...

I have run CWShreader, Cleanup, Spybot S&D, AVG, Ewido, Hijack this and spyblaster.

luckiesal

luckiesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this problem only happens with Microsoft office...

I have also been using Photoshop and this opens and saves documents existing and new.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Disconnect from the internet, disable your anti virus programme, check it has stopped running with task manager, then try Word

luckiesal

luckiesal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Disconnected, then disabled AVG Personal... tried Word and Excel but neither of them worked... they froze again :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you installed Office, did you install complete, (run all from my computer) and also leave the installation files on the drive

Have you checked with Microsoft / Office Update recently

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

JacobAtDell

JacobAtDell

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi GUYS , THIS ISSUE IS BECOZ OF WINDOWS UPDATE , THE LATEST PATCH OF IE LOOPHOLE KILLS MS OFFICE , WORD AND EXCEL DOESNT OPEN FILES "NOT RESPONDING" IS DISPLAYED ON THE TITLE BAR

HERE IS THE SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE

-Close All Programs
-Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to get the Task Manager
- End All Process called verclsid.exe NOTE : THERE WILL BE MULTIPLE ENTRIES, END TASK ALL OF THEM***
- Click Start > Search
- Click On ALL FILES AND FOLDER
- Type verclsid.exe in the filename box
- Click Search
- DELETE ALL FILE IN THE SEARCH RESULT
- REBOOT THE COMPUTER
- Your ISSUE IS RESOLVE

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111