Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel 2003 question

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Is it possible to put text and a formula into the same cell? My mind reverted back to my old Pascal ways and I tried commas and apostrophes, but can't seem to get it to work.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi Mike,

Sorry to tell you that no it is not. If you put a formula into a cell, it can be the only thing in that cell. Any words that you put in front on the start of the function or at the end of the function will null the function, and you will end up with something like "Dockboy=SUM(A4+B4)" showing in the cell. But you probably already know that. You will have to resort to the words being in the cell beside the formula cell. Just how it works. Sorry.

Cheers:)

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I figured as much, since I couldn't find help on it anywhere. Thanks for the quick heads up.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
No problemo :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you put an example of what you want in one cell

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Keith,

Although your solution is a correct answer, it was not what he was looking to do. He wanted to have text and a formula within one cell.

I do not mean any disrespect to you in any way, I just thought I should point out what he was asking, in case you had interpreted it wrong.

All the best

Cheers:)

*I see you just changed your post when I posted my response. No worries then. Cheers:)

Edited by Dockboy, 18 April 2006 - 02:58 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I just wondered if using shrink to fit or enlarging the cells was it, then decided it couldn't be that easy, so changed the response I was probably changing it while you were posting yours :whistling:

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Mike,
I was a bit confused by the trail of responses and exactly what you wanted to do. It is definitely possible to combine text and formula in a cell as in the following example.

="Dockboy " & SUM(A4:B4)

HTH
David