Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't Forget the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
This game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Shadows of Chernobyl) began developing what...like...three years ago? And keeps getting delayed because they are having major problems with their AI. Apparently giving it free will led to more complicated problems.

After all the delays, I'm expecting one [bleep] of a game. In the latest PC Gamer they had it scheduled for an October release!!!

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms/drooling?

}BP{

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I've been drooling over this game for years now.
I preordered it almost straight away but unlike some people I don't mind the waiting, it's better for the game to be good then have loads of problems/bugs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it looks good, just hope they dont wait to long otherwise they will have to do alot of the engine technology ove to keep up, and the longer it waits the more chance of it getting pulled for one reason or another. The first game using the UT2007 engine the stagate game got pulled because it was in production to long and the publisher didnt think it was worth the copyright payment to ensure they owned the material completely. Its a shame they literally had just finshed the game, it happens fairly often so i hope it doesnt happen to STALKER or even worse the developer makes a complete mess of it.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I think they should release the [bleep] thing. I mean I can't imagine the AI being that screwed up. The Oblivion AI will bunch up in rooms at times but it doesn't take away from gameplay.

I say release it October (or late Summer) and if anything is soooo wacky it screws with the game, then release a patch.

Just my 2 cents.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but it must be seriously bad like the AI turning round and killing itself bad or not reacting to changing environment otherwise they would release it, they probably have alot of little things to work on and optimisations and such. Hopefully if they use HDR lighting they do it properly for everyone not just the latest generation of cards.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The reason it appeals to me so much is that a majority of the land isn't inhabited. Like in Oblivion, there's always something to do, but I think the absolute freedom in STALKER will add depth. I'm not saying it will be boring, but having the sporadic checkpoint or knowing there's something out there adds suspense, like in Condemned, which I like...suspense.....and Condemned....I like both.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
This is the game that's going to make me a 7900 =].