Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Issue

• Please log in to reply

MitchC

MitchC

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

OK. First, my oringinal problem was that my GIF and JPG's were missing their proper icons. See here. I originally thought I would make sure they are default to open with Windows Picture And Fax Viewer. After doing this, nothing had changed. The icons were still 'unknown'. So, I remembered that the other day, I had uninstalled a bunch of programs that I was not using; I wanted to free up some hard drive storage. I figured, if I restore the icons will become fixed. After the system restore, sure enough, the GIF and JPGs were back to normal. Cool!

BUT! When I looked in the Add/Remove Programs, all the old programs had re-installed after the restore. *sigh* OK, so I will remove them again. But, when I attempt to do so, I am getting errors. They will not remove. My guess is that something in the registry was removed on the initial removal and now when I
attempt to remove them, this file it is looking for is not available. (PS: I tried to undo the changes of the restore, but it would not complete succesfully. I also tried to restore to a time before this last restore, also unsuccessful.)

What can I do to successfully remove these programs again?

Thank you in advance,

Mitch

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MitchC...

Actually, the best option for this is to reinstall the old programs and uninstall them again. What's happened is that you uninstalled the programs and then rolled back to a copy of the registry that still has them referenced. Hence the files not found errors.

The gif and jpg problem is a simple matter of stting the correct file associations.

wannabe1

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

First. Sorry for all the 'spams'. My internet is acting up, that was a complete accident. Moderator, feel free to clean them up. My apoligies. :whistling:

Secondly, I will have to install the programs... but I do not have all the disks or files anymore. Is there any other options?

Thanks for the quick reply,

Mitch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No problem on the spams...one of the Mods was right after it! :whistling:

You'll have to remove the references to those applications from the registry. Do you remember what all of them were?

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, point to "All Programs", then to "Accessories", then to "System Tools", and run "Disk Clean Up" Then run "Disk Defragmenter"...also from System Tools.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, then press "Enter", click "Edit", then "Select All", (all files will highlight), right click any file, click "Delete", confirm, then reboot.

Download, install, and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

Edited by wannabe1, 19 April 2006 - 12:01 AM.

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

Well I have re-installed a few of the applications and removed them that way. I've narrowed it down to these:

Won't Uninstall:
FarCry (Won't play, install, or uninstall; it's being quite odd)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butchers Bay

Mitch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll probably want to keep Net Framework and it's patch.

Try the suggestion in my last post...don't mind the edits I'm doing to it....just adding some formatting to make it easier to understand. (I just stole it from Keith...one of our beloved mods...but didn't get the formatting with it)

wannabe1

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the help. I will give the suggestions a try. :whistling:

Now that I removed Fireworks... (Oh, it was Macromedia's Fireworks that took over my JPG icons.) Now they are blank again, how can I fix that?

Mitch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a photo editor you like and use, or do you plan on using the Windows Picture and Fax Viwer?

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

I will just be using the Windows viewer. If I do any editing it's in Photoshop but I don't want to view pictures in there as it takes a few seconds to load up. So, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Mitch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on "Folder Options". Under the "File Type" tab, scroll down the list to JPG and click on it. Click on the "Change" button and choose (or browse to) "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", select it, click "Apply", then "Ok". Do the same for JPE, JPEG, GIF, PCD, PCX, TGA, TIF, UFO, and UPI file fomats. These will now all automatically open in the Windows Viewer.

MitchC

MitchC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey,

WOW! That is sweet. I never knew that existed... Man. You could have saved me a few times with this. I'd install a program then all my .mp3 would look like WMP files so I would re-install Winamp to make things normal again! HAHA! I am glad you showed me that. it was odd, my pictures would open in the Windows Viewer, but the icons were messed. Your a blessing! (For some reason I am really excited! LOL!)

THANKS!

Mitch

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:blink: :whistling:

That's called "File Association". Programs make these associations when they install. Unfortunately, they don't change them back when they are uninstalled. Now you know how to change them manually... :help:

wannabe1