Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can send, but can't receive EXCEPT when logging on with colleagues

• Please log in to reply

djpanic

djpanic

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Seems like a DNS problem or something? Webmail works fine, old Email account under same domain works fine, just not new account under any domain. Checked settings, software, tried alternative configs (different Pop servers, the IP instead of the name, etc). Uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook, deleted and recreated the Pop account both in Outlook and on the hosting company, still nothing. Checked settings a hundred times of course. The environment is a Windows 2003 Small business Server, the clients are all Win XP Pro running DHCP with DNS and DHCP running on the server. I’ve run all the Windows updates & virus protection scans. No other known problems exist.

Any other ideas??? thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, I have no idea. Not an expert in sbs, but reading your post, a thought or two crossed my mind

First, how many client access licenses did you purchase? How many users do you have? My reading of some of the early sbs2003 docs seemed to leave an impression in my head that the idea was to transition users to webmail away from pop accounts. Seems there was some sort of limit to popmail to allow for transitioning older accounts, but I have no idea why that is sticking in my head or even if it is true. I want to say...75 (since that is the intended largest user base for sbs2003)?

djpanic

djpanic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There are only 3 users and it is a 5 user license. The only thing I've been able to prove is that outside of the environment, the Pop account in question sends and receives fine and the other two accounts created prior to the problem work fine on this desktop and others, but any new ones I create don't. I thought I'd be slick and create a variation of the account and alias the mail over to it, but that obviously didn't work. Any ideas where I can find a SBS expert? :whistling: