Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp Fails to post

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay. a friend of mine built a computer. dont know the specs too well, all i know is it is a amd 64 dual core cpu, it was in one of those cpu/mobo packages on tigerdirect.com

well he came over here last night, and decided he was going to fix his floppy drive, as it was hooked up in correctly, well upon fixing the floppy drive the computer will not post. yet before hand it did and it worked a o k. he has xp pro on it, and the hard drivs sound like there gonna take a dump. but anyways. i've tried the following
  • Resetting the CMOS
  • switching memory slots,
  • trying different memory all to gether
  • smelled and looked at the cpu for burn marks or to see if it was burned
  • removed everything that the mobo didn't need to function with
  • tried an agp graphics card instead of on board
i would of tried the cpu in a diff board, but i dont have anything that supports the amd dual core 64bit cpu. the cpu didnt look or smelled burned or fried,

any other suggestions. i am going to recommend if i cant fix it by tonight is to RMA the board and cpu if possible.

thanks in advance

Edited by amw_drizz, 19 April 2006 - 07:44 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you removed "everything it didn't need" did y ou take out the floppy as well?
try setting up the mobo outside of the case on a piece of cardboard with only the proc, hs, and hs fan attatched (nothing else..no ram no nothin)..do you get any beeps?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
all is connected to the mobo when i try with nothing on it is, the cpu, ram (which works) and hs. thats it nuttin else, i'll try it out side of the case on a piece of cardboard and post back. could the PSU cause it to malefunction as it is?

its a 300w PSU that came with the case i belive its an ACER psu. the only PCI cards he has on it are a dial up modem nothing else.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it coulde be a psu issue..so if you have another you could test that as well

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
yea, i'll pull the PSU out of my main desktop as it works, and it should work with the 64bit chip. hope fully she'll fire up and work