Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Minor to a major major problem

• Please log in to reply

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK.. It comes up with the following (had to take a picture cos it was so quick!)

all the copyright stuff at the top

SiS661MX A1 (FirstBIOS) + WinBond 697 + ICS952023 + ACPI
BIOS Version ...
CPU = ...
System RAM passed
Extended RAM passed
Cache SRam Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: ...
Mouse initiliazed

so I'm guessing my disk drive is proper dead? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd like to say it's a good possibility (which...still being under warranty means they can fix that)...if a drive won't be detected in bios or during post...it's usually because it's borked...if this were a desktop we'd be able to do a bit more testing to be sure (like taking it out and all that jazz) but being a laptop (that's still under warranty) i wouldn't want to tell you to start opening it up and monkeying with stuff like that

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah that is true.. it would definitely lose the warranty if that happened! I tried ringing acer but I'm certain they are shut..

Wonder how long they take it fix it because I need it for my studying! talk about bad timing

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
WEEELLL...the good thing is that you backed up all the study material to that external hard drive right? so you should still be able to get to it on the current computer to study the stuff...don't know about their standard turn arround on service...haven't had to get one fixed yet

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah it is all backed up luckily.. I can cope with having this PC while I'm at home but when I go back to live by myself at uni I won't have this luxury!

many thanks for the help :whistling: Over to the hardware men, so to speak!

fairdinato

fairdinato

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
So strange.. Just was on my laptop a minute ago installing my usb mouse and it said that it couldn't install as another process was happening. I was a bit confusde then my laptop just cut out and rebooted.. (mid work I must say!) then when re launched it installed my dvd and cd drive.. Sooo strange..

Any ideas what it could have been? hmm

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not a clue in the world....