Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer

• Please log in to reply

ijm8710

ijm8710

• Pip
  • 2 posts
sorry if this is wrong forum....can someone plz explain in laman's terms how if i have a new computer (labtop) if i can and how access my files from my old computer and eventually transfer them all. ty very much

Advertisements

senshisteph

senshisteph

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
If they both have an ethernet card (network card, the socket you plug a broadband connection into if it's not USB) you can link the 2 computers together directly with a LAN cable then copy and paste the files across.

If you have a home network (e.g. more than one computer is sharing your internet connection) you can add the new computer to the network and share files on your network.

You could use removable media (eg. CD, DVD, thumb drive) to transfer the files (this assumes you have a CD writer on the old PC) a few at a time as you need them.

This one's a bit extreme (OK, a lot extreme) - invest in an external HDD caddy/drive case - I got a cheap and cheerful one for about 20GBP. Take the hard disk out of the old PC and put it in the caddy, then install the disk on your laptop using the CD that came with your caddy. If you do not plan to use the old PC again, just leave it at that. Otherwise copy the files onto your laptop HD, then disconnect and replace the HD in your old PC. THe caddy isn't wasted cos if you start to run out of disk space later it will be really easy (and cheaper) to add a second HD. :tazz: I like extreme solutions to small problems...

ijm8710

ijm8710

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
alrite thanks a lot one more thinng can u explain the second option plz with netrowrking