Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GUI display problems - wierd dots etc + strange hardware noise

• Please log in to reply

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Recently, At the windows XP login screen the dots that appear when you type in your log-in password are"running" - they look like they are dripping.

Also, I have noticed while running Firefox, espescially at a search page such as google, a single dot will appear next to the cursor - seemingly out of nowhere.

Something else that is potentially relevant is that everytime the computer loads a web page, or I scroll through one, there is a low pitched "whine" coming from somewhere in the computer. Could this be the video card?

any ideas?

thanks. :whistling:

Edited by godwinaustin, 19 April 2006 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could very well be...you could try cleaning out the dust bunnies -- especially from the fan on the videocard

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

could very well be...you could try cleaning out the dust bunnies -- especially from the fan on the videocard

gerry this is a brand new computer, I hope there isnt any dust in there yet! :whistling:

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I guess the sound can be described best as a buzzing during scrolling or loading of web pages. Coming from the right hand side of the laptop under the keyboard - by the way, I have an HP L2200 laptop computer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do not assume a new computer cannot have dust

either way, the buzzing sounds like a fan gong bad, and a fan going bad means heat, and heat often creates graphic oddities.

Given it is a laptop, and new, it is under warranty. laptop fans are not typically replacable by the average user. Take advantage of the warranty