Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacement Sound Card

• Please log in to reply

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I don't know what happened to my sound card. It's having sound issues, I guess it finally shot its wad.

I had a Sound Blaster Audigy LS, I don't want to spend alot of money on a card, but I'm interested in whats the best bang for my buck deal. All I do is gaming and listen to some music. I guess if it can be kept around 100 dollars thats a good deal.

I wish I knew whats wrong with my current sound card, it just sounds like complete crap in all games if I turn the hardware sound option on in games.

Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts, I came here for help on picking out a video card and it was great :whistling:

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Soundblaster X-Fi extreme music edition. AWESOME card, its a bit over $100 but its well worth it, it has 300 times better sound quality over the audigy cards, awesome features. When I put mine in, it made my comp sound better than my home 7.1 theatre system.
-P.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey,

Did you start noticing the loss of sounds quality out of the blue? Or did it start after a reinstallation of the card?

Cheers:)

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
I took it out awhile back, I got tired of trying to find out what was wrong. I think it was after I had reinstalled it. No point in worrying about it now I guess. I must have not grounded myself or something and fried the card.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

I was inquiring because I know with my Creative card, during installation I get an option for Digital processing or something like that, I can't remember it exactly, but when I would click the digital option, my sound would come out all staticy and messed up.

After reinstalling choosing the other option (I forget what it was, it was a while ago) my sound would be fine. Check that out before you drop some serious dollars for a new card. Hope this helps.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Well, I resintalled it about an hour ago and fooled around with it. I've taken it out again, I'll try again tonight and see what happens and double check everything. I'm still intereted in opions about new cards though.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hey,

This is in Canada, but TigerDirect has an American site too, just change the .ca to .com

http://www.tigerdire...1870099&CatId=0

This is pretty sweet card that I would buy myself, and it runs you about $100 plus tax and shipping.

ADNoland

ADNoland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
Definitly looking for a good card for gaming. My understanding is it takes some of the pressure off when your not using the built in sound on the motherboard and you can get better FPS with a decent sound card than if you were using onboard sound.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic looks like a pretty nice card, but I've only bought one sound card in my life so I don't know what exactly I'm looking for.

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
The Audigy 4 will do it man. Support 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1, has EAX, and all the little goodies you'll need. Definitely good for gaming.

I'm still running a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card from 3 years ago, still provides me with amazing sound quality. The Audigy 4 is cheap, and it will suffice your surround sound and soung quality needs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
X-fi cards are the best money can buy sound card wise and are the best audio processors, you only get better if you have a valve based sound system, so its pretty good value for what you get.