Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Will not Boot

• Please log in to reply

skaterperson

skaterperson

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hello,

I would appreciate help from someone on my problem with windows XP. Well heres the situatuion: I turn on the computer and before the welcome message comes up which asks you to log on to a certain account , i recieve a black screen with the message:

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair'

I have tried the suggested resolution but to no avail as windows does not load far enough to load a disc.
i hope i am not wasting your time if this is just easily fixable and im being stupid
Thanks... heres a picture.
Posted Image

Edited by skaterfag, 19 April 2006 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is not easily fixable--it is a true and complete pain in the butt to fix

Microsoft has instructions on how to fix this

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=307545

Under step 5, you will see multiple steps for fixing different registry hives...since only SYSTEM is corrupt, you can shorten it to

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

and then shorten the other lengthy steps in parts 2 and 3 to only address the SYSTEM hive

skaterperson

skaterperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the fast reply but i have a problem already... this is taken from the microsoft guide you gave me:

To complete part one, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

When i insert the disc and reboot nothing happens. no 'welcome to setup screen appears. The only welcome to setup screen i can see is the first screen which says dell. Ive hosted a little movie to help explain. I press 'r' repeatedly throughout but it does nothing. (its only 15secs long)Posted Image

Thanks
(and thankyou for changing my name, sorry if it was unappropriate)

Edited by skaterperson, 19 April 2006 - 01:11 PM.