Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Web rouser? Tried to install on its own... MS Anti-s

• Please log in to reply

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi,

I used Firefox (and keep all the IE stuff marked to off or high security, etc. since I don't use it) and this morning the Microsoft anti-spyware thing had a pop-up that said some kind of IE Browser thing was trying to be installed. This happened as soon as I turned on the computer this morning. I was the last to use it last night and I did not install anything yesterday. So I chose to block it.

Here's what it says under "blocked items" now in MS Anti-spyware:

Internet Explorer Web rowser: WebBrowser {01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383}

Disabled date: 4/20/2006 9:29:21 AM

Details: Internet Explorer Web rowser deactivated

Registry Key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser {01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383} = deactivated on

...anyone know what this is? Looks fishy. And if it's official MS stuff, if I don't use IE, do I even need to have this activated?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.symantec....ramtoolbar.html

I don't think IE tried to install something to itself, I think a "bad guy" tried to latch onto IE, unsuccessfully, sorta. Take a look at the link above and see if the symptoms seem familiar, and try the manual removal instructions.

Johanna

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

http://www.symantec....ramtoolbar.html

I don't think IE tried to install something to itself, I think a "bad guy" tried to latch onto IE, unsuccessfully, sorta. Take a look at the link above and see if the symptoms seem familiar, and try the manual removal instructions.

I don't think it's installed. It's not listed on add/remove programs and when I opened IE to check, that toolbar is not there. When MS-AS gave me the pop-up, I chose to block it. But that leads to another question...

So MS-AS gives you the option when you look under the "blocked events" menu to unblock it (which, of course, I don't want to do, right?) or permanently delete it -- but I'm not sure what permanently delete mean...? Is that deleting the blocked even (therefore making it not blocked and adding it) or is it deleting the ability to ever unblock/add it (meaning, that the .dll file is sitting on my computer somewhere, it's just not installed). Does that question make sense? Let me know what you think -- thanks for the help!