Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Max RAM

• Please log in to reply

kroberts

kroberts

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi folks, hope you can clear this question up for me?

I have Windows 98se and i know it can only have a max of 512Mb RAM (Depending on the mother board of course), but i have been told if i edit the sys.ini file under "Vcache" with the line "MaxFileCache=512000" it will accept 1Gb of RAM? Is this true? Any probs in doing it?

Cheers.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can do that but it does not help speed up the computer much.

From this speedguide webpage.

http://www.speedguid...cles.php?id=170

'MinFileCache' and 'MaxFileCache' should be the same ( about 25% of your RAM ) to avoid resizing. 'ChunkSize' should generally be '512', but you can omit that one. You should set MinFileCache and MaxFileCache to about 25% of your total RAM for best performance, i.e 8190 for 32Mb RAM, 16384 for 64Mb, 32768 for 128Mb...

These are sample settings from one of our PCs ( 256Mb RAM, Windows 98 )

[vcache]
MinFileCache=65536
MaxFileCache=65536
ChunkSize=512

Notes: Generally, the more RAM you have, the larger vcache can be. Remember that the RAM used by vcache can't be used by applications.

It still does not let you use 1 gig of memory. Memory is set in the bios not the OS.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 20 April 2006 - 02:51 PM.

kroberts

kroberts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for that, one of the main reasons for wanting to have 1Gb of RAM is that I use two removable HDD's, one for Win 98, and the other for Win XP (Don't like having all OS on one HDD). My bios can take 3Gb RAM, but Win 98 crashes if I use 1Gb where Win XP works fine? I hoped there was a way of fooling Win 98 so that I can use max RAM for both OS's?

Cheers