Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it better to set up a network or just link 2 computers?

• Please log in to reply

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have 2 computers, 1 is connected to the internet. I don't want to bother with a router. I want computer A to have all my applications and have computer B access all the programs.

1) Can I just cable link them to gether? will that work?
Can 2 people be on at same tome?

2) If I network them do I still need a bale link between the 2?
I want 2 people to be able to use same programs same time

3) Should I get a 3rd computer and set up a mini-network?

Thanks

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Just get a cable to link them together, make sure this is a CROSS-OVER cable or an "X-Over" Cable.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks will try, so I can keep accounting software on 1 computer (host) and have acess rights from 2nd computer? I assume just can't be on program at same time...

Where do these cables plug in, the modem jack? becuase I will have 1 computer with network jack already filled (and get 2 male copnnectors, right?)

Edited by Alantnyk222, 20 April 2006 - 05:54 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just my opinion, but i would go ahead and setup a network and use a router. I have done direct connections, used hubs, but find a router lets your network be somewhat secure and still let all puters on the network have access to the other computers and the internet at the same time.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

http://www.windowsne...ials/route.html

SRX660

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well in any cases, you need a free LAN port on an ethernet card ( or a built in port on ur motherboard )

If you don't want to use a router, but have both comps use internet, you'll need a crossover cable between both comps, and have 1 computer connected to the internet with a second LAN port on that comp...

Really the router's the best solution. Wired routers arent all that expensive anymore, a DLINK sells for 50 bucks CDN now ( yep thats right im canuk :whistling: )

Also important to note, the program might not necessarily work normally if you try to run it off another computer through a network..

Some programs simply CANT run without all the registry keys and drivers, etc. It's always best to install any program you want to use onto that computer.

Sharing files is fine, exactly for the reason that files dont depend on anything else, they can be brought anywhere at anytime. Programs cant. Food for thought :blink:

Edited by Vaillant, 20 April 2006 - 10:44 PM.

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanks for replies.

This is situation I have in the office, we have 8 stand alone computers not networked and all 8 connected to a dsl router. I want to add a 9th computer 9which i can't plug into router becuase no more plugs) I want to be able to share an accounting program on 2 computers so I will load accounting program on both computers and use a cross over cable. I just have to figure out about the data so we don't have 2 different systems running.

Router -comp a I want to connect computer H to comp a and share 1 program
- comp b
- comp c
- comp d
- comp e
- comp f
- comp g
- comp n

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I moved your topic to Networking so that it gets attention from the experts here. I think you want to be able to synchronize the data on the two computers? Does the second computer need to be online, or just need to be connected to the first computer?

Johanna

Alantnyk222

Alantnyk222

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for moving to the right category boards...Really the 2nd computer does not have to be internet connected. If it is it is only gravey, the real purpose is to have a 2nd person have accounting data available.