Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Search assistent problem when changing OS language

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Ok hi all ill tell you my problem and ill start since i bought my computer.

I am running a Compaq Presario SR1020LA with windows XP Home SP1. The thing is i obught it in mexico so logicaly the OS is in spanish. (i know how to speak spanish so i can still use it). When i first booted the computer i went through windows settings wizard which is normal for any new computer and i set the language to "english (United States)" and my location to the US. when the wizard ended and i got into windows the OS was still in spanish but i did not notice any problems untill a week after when i tried to do a search from Start>Search and i got a weird error message (it was in spanish but ill translate it) it said "could not initialize search. Serach assistent not found" my only option was to close the error window. i tried searching different ways but the same error ocurred so i dided well ill change my language to spanish see what happens so i entered regional options and languages from the control panel and changed my language and location to Mexico and reeboted. Guess What? i still got the same error. so i decided to make a backup of my files and reinstall the OS this time setting the original language to spanish and location to mexico in the settings wizard everytime you first boot windows. After i did that i could search normaly no problem. so i tried changing the language and location form the control panel to english again and i got the error and i switched back and i was still getting the error. Reinstalled the OS again in spanish and didnt try it again now i installed SP2 and i havent tried it and i dont know if i should because if i do and it doesnt work ill probably have to reinstall the OS. NEED HELP PLEASE.

Thanks -OCM770-

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you using the spanish language version of Windows?

Why not just kill the silly search assistant and be done with it all togeher? The search assistant is the little animated cartoon that does little more than annoy you after the first 5 searches.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start the Registry Editor

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ CabinetState \

Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > String Value

Name the new value UseSearchAsst

Double-click this new value, and enter no as it's Value data

Close the registry editor

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Thatstill wouldnt solve my problem because the OS would still be in spanish and i want it in english any suggestions? thanks for the search assitent one though. ill do it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Regional language options are not the same as the gui language. In order to install the english language OS, you need the English Language Windows XP cd

The regional language options allow some minor configuration changes (monetary units, keyboards), but they do not allow wholesale changes of the user interface

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
So i guess that means i need to buy a new version of windows in english and install it in a separate partition on my hard drive so i can have it in english. I dont think its worth it but thanks for all the help :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is correct