Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to replace some of the stock parts...

• Please log in to reply

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I want to replace the heatsink and fan on my video card (mainly so I can push it a bit harder, the XT has a lower clock speed than some of the 6800s I've seen).

Here's the card - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150130

So, what do I need to buy for the lowest temperatures?

I have a Rosewill 500W PSU.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118001 is what i use its the highest rated gfx cooler right now for those cards.

You probably wont get the clocks as high as other 6800s its the XT and nvidia will have done something to place a limit on how high it can go as they dont want the budget card being better than more expensive ones.

Seven!

Seven!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I don't know about limits, it's running at 430MHz/1.1GHz right now, and I unlocked the Pixel Pipes (12 now, 8 default), so it's a beastly card already, it's just getting a little hot.

How about a KuFormula VF1? It's a little big, but not too much for my card to handle.

Plus, should I use AS3 or AS5 for this?

Whoohoho, look at the thing (this is from Tom's Hardware, not my card) -
Posted Image

Edited by Seven!, 21 April 2006 - 11:11 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your image link is broken, use whatever compound you want they usually come with there own stuff though so you dont need to go out and buy stuff.

The XT model cards are the lowest model 6800 available and even fully overclocked to its potential wont approach even a GT, if you could overclock them that much everyone would buy one.

The zalman VF-900 is at the moment the best cooler, its pretty amazing all copper but very light, quiet fan(zalman so thats expected), advanced heat pipe technology, lowered temps from maxing out in the 70s and 80s under load down to the 40s and 50s even on its lowest setting, also smaller than the Kuformula and easily fitted. I think all the nvidia cards have there ram on the same side so thats not a factor but for ATI cards some have the ram mounted on both sides of the board so the zalman ramsinks are a good thing to have for cooling ram.

The ram will probably be the easiest to overclock it should got to 1300Mhz allright all the cards use the same ram, the core dont know how high good cooling it might go higher it might not, either way it will be quieter and cooler. Just dont expect the same clocks as the expensive versions of the 6800 they are the best of the runs and totally unlocked with not physical or software restrictions.