Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(some) USB not working

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

13- System Configuration Utility Page will place a message Box on screen
14- Check – Do not show this message or Launch Confiuration Utility when Window Starts –

This did not occur on restart - posssibly because I didn't have to check or uncheck any boxes in System Configuration Utility - it was all as specified.

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Non-present Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**

RE (6) Do you mean show Hidden Devices (there is no show hidden files, but devices makes more sense anyhow)?

Now can you Post several – Snapshots – of what Device Manager is now showing – on USB Devices – Mass Storage – Disk Drives -

devmgr01.jpg devmgr02.jpg

You can Double Click – Root HUBS] to open Property Pages - & click on [Power] Tab for more info –
See if your – USB Drive shows up as a – Non Present Device – and your Flash Drive –

First, second and fourth hubs>proerties>power look like this:

devmgr03.jpg

the 3rd hub looks like this:

devmgr04.jpg

I'll post the rest in the next posting as I've used up attachment data allocation cap.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
The hidden hubs (in greytone) all display the following properties
devmgr05.jpg

See if your – USB Drive shows up as a – Non Present Device – and your Flash Drive –

Luckily I have bought another USB Drive, 1Gb this time - bigger capactiy should be harder to misplace (read more painful)

Now try connecting a USB device to your – Non Functioning USB Ports – and see if this does a – Refresh – Action. This will be an indication of whether the USB Device was detected or not

Getting no response, not even devmgr flashing on any of the 6 ports that are dysfunctional. However printer, usb drive and flash drive do produce flash on Devmgr when inserted via PCI VIA USB ports.

Look at all the [Driver] Tabs for the USB Drives and view the details – See what you can learn

hubs all look like this

devmgr06.jpg

USB hard drive like this (when plugged into functional ports).

devmgr07.jpg

and the usb flash dirve likewise (when plugged into functional ports).

See what you can learn

Hmmm, not sure that grasshopper learned anything regarding driver details master :blink: :whistling: :help:

Where to next?

Edited by digikiwi, 28 April 2006 - 08:26 AM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
13– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
28th April 2006

Ok Next –

Lets check your BIOS Settings for USB Controllers –

To find the CMOS setup screen, reboot your computer. Start by pressing a certain keyboard combination during startup. You should see a line of text at the bottom of the display that tells you which key or keys you need to press to enter the CMOS or Setup area. (NOTE: You may have to completely shut down your system and turn it back on to see what this key combination is.) Most systems use ESC, DELETE, F1, F2, CTRL-ESC, or CTRL-ALT-ESC. If the screen doesn’t indicate which keys to press, the computer’s documentation should do so.

BIOS Explained
http://www.kellys-ko...com/xp_bios.htm

You should find the USB BIOS Settings under -

Advanced Menu:
1- Advanced BIOS Features
2- Advanced Chipset Features
3- Integrated Peripherals – USB Settings located here
4- Power Management Setup
5- PnP/PCI Configuration

USB Controllers Options
1- [Disabled]
2- [V1.1]
3- [V1.1 + V2.0] – Select this option – which is [USB 1.1 & USB 2.0]

Jack123

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

USB Controllers Options
1- [Disabled]
2- [V1.1]
3- [V1.1 + V2.0] – Select this option – which is [USB 1.1 & USB 2.0]

Already set this, no change required

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
14– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
30th April 2006

I have uninstalled DT. Also I have renamed sptd.sys and sptd8577.sys as .old respectively and moved from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers into a temp folder on desktop. Does this mean I have "uninstalled" these drivers or does it require further intervention?

If Daemon Tools are still – Uninstalled & sptd drivers are still misconfigured & moved to another directory – then you need to uninstall your Motherboard USB Controllers again but with Daemon Tools – uninnstalled & with the spdt drivers deactivated & using – Safe Mode – See the following steps – Basically you want to uninstall all the Standard Open Host Controllers – [Motherboard USB ] & leave all the VIA Expansion USB Universal Host Controllers installed -

1- Disconnect all USB Devices from Motherboard USB Ports
2- Connect Printer to PCI USB Port & Turn ON Printer
3- Restart PC in – Safe Mode
4- Use Device Manager – Using Show Hidden Devices – To Remove the – [1st] – [2nd] & [4th] - USB Root Hubs plus the – 3 Non Present USB Root Hubs – Open Properties Page on the selected Root Hubs & Use the Driver Tab & use Uninstall Button –
5- Remove all – Non Present Devices – Using Driver Tab & Uninstall Button
6- Remove all – All Standard USB Open Host Controllers – using Driver Tab & Uninstall Button
7- Remove the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller – using Driver Tab & Uninstall Button
8- Then Shutdown the PC to uninstall
9- Start PC in – Safe Mode again – To reinstall the Motherboard USB Standard Open Host Controllers –
10- Open Device Manager with – Hidden Devices – Checked & verify that the motherboard USB Controllers are reinstalled
11- Shut down PC & connect your Flash Drive to Motherboard USB Port - Hopefully this – Reset – the USB Controllers –

You should see your Flash Drive being – Polled – during the Windows Installing Screen – during the White & Blue Progress Status Bar – when it reaches the Ύ Mark – just after your Keyboard flashes during the startup

You should get the – New Hardware Found – right after windows is loaded –

Jack123

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Jack

Followed the entire procedure but unfortunately no change

5- Remove all – Non Present Devices – Using Driver Tab & Uninstall Button

I presume you are talking about the USB layer only, not all the layers in Device Manager.

What is the difference between right click -> uninstall and right click>properties> driver>uninstall.

The first time I uninstalled the first three hubs the quick way and then read the instructions properly :whistling: (I'm male, I don't need to look at no map :help: , oh sh** where am I :blink: ).

I repeated the entire procedure twice, the second time to the letter but unfortunately still no change. On startup Windows found new hardware: root hub but is still not responding to anything plugged into it, same as before.
I tried both flash drive and printer.

More ideas. I was thinking perhaps some connection on motherboard could have been loosened somehow but then the ports wouldn't be supplying power, would they?

You should see your Flash Drive being – Polled – during the Windows Installing Screen – during the White & Blue Progress Status Bar – when it reaches the Ύ Mark – just after your Keyboard flashes during the startup

My keyboard has no lights on it (logitech wireless), and with flash drive in front port I saw no evidence of polling (I assume this would be indicated by flash of LED)

Standing by

PS It's kind of funny, even though our attempts at fixing the problem have been unsuccessful thus far, I feel good in at least doing something. As long as I'm tinkering it feels like I'm going somewhere, and hey I'm learning loads from you in the process.

Digikiwi

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
15– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
1st May 2006

Remove all – Non Present Devices – Using Driver Tab & Uninstall Button
I presume you are talking about the USB layer only, not all the layers in Device Manager.

Yes – I meant only the USB Folder

What is the difference between right click -> uninstall and right click>properties> driver>uninstall.

None really – Just you get a second chance to think about hitting the – Uninstall – with the Properties Page – In case you right click the wrong item [??]

My keyboard has no lights on it (logitech wireless), and with flash drive in front port I saw no evidence of polling (I assume this would be indicated by flash of LED)

How long have you had the wireless Keyboard? –

That is the time that PnP does its – Device Roll Call – It is called – Enumeration – [??]

Followed the entire procedure but unfortunately no change

Looks as if I have ran out of ideas here – The following – Quote – is from your initial Post. I am not sure what all you did there, but maybe you should pursue that idea more - & - verify whatever you did was correct -

I have udated/reinstalled mobo usb drivers and think I have updated BIOS. However I am a total noob when it comes to BIOS. Inside it I can't see any reference to anything vaguely USB related.

Your USB Controller is – Standard Open Host Controller Interface – which manages the USB Devices mostly by – Hardware – so maybe you need - Firmware Update – [??] You may have received a – Windows Update – that may have caused your USB Issues [??] So perhaps you may receive some help/info from this website – I would think that you may have already been there [??] but you probably know more now. And maybe a revisit may prove useful now -

USBMan –
http://www.usbman.co.....Stops Working

Also you may be able to receive some more info and some insight from your Chipset Manufacturer -

NVIDIA Chipset http://www.nvidia.com/page/mobo.html
driver download http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp
driver update http://driveragent.com?ref=59
scan PC for Driver updates http://driveragent.c....php?fn=chipset

My gut feeling is that your PC still has its – Registry – set to disable the USB Ports – All we have done is to prevent it from resetting this condition – We still need to clear the – Disabled Condition – That I believe involves tweaking your – Registry – which I do not feel comfortable with – I will ask for advice –

The reason I believe this -

Just talking to my wife about the USB problem. She has been using the aforementioned Samsung external hard drive on the front side usb ports and then they stopped working. So she used the back ones and these also stopped functioning. This would suggest that there is a direction for inquiry here. However the exteral drive (it has its own power supply) still works OK on the laptop usb port . .

The USB Drive is the – Disabler – but Daemon Tools running in the background – with sptd8577 Driver – activated/installed – was able to manipulate the Registry – Now all that was accomplished was to prevent it to happen again – but we still need the provisions to – Clear the Registry –

The fact that the Laptop does not have Daemon Tools set to run with Windows is the reason the Laptop is/was not affected by USB Drive Connection – We have removed the – Cause – but we still need to implement a method of clearing the Registry – I thought by removing the USB Controllers & reinstalling would accomplish a Clear Function – It’s a combination type fix – Doing either one will not fix the problem – You must do both. And we have failed to do the – Clearing Function

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 May 2006 - 07:39 AM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Jack,

USBMan –
http://www.usbman.co.....Stops Working

Had already visited this one and tried disabling power off option before the last reinstall of usb drivers. Have now disabled power saving again, no change.

driver download http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp
driver update http://driveragent.com?ref=59

driver_check.jpg

Have visited website again, udated the network card driver but can't find the drivers the site allures to regarding usb stuff. Have tried VIA updates, looked in USB-man, and others but not sure which I should use. I'm not too concerned about the mouse and keyboard drivers as these are generic ones and remove the extra features the logitech drivers provide.

The Nforce audio encoder I thought I had with nForce_5.11_winxp2k_international_whql.exe but on rechecking this is still listed on driveragent.

Where to next? :whistling: :blink:

Digikiwi

P.S. If any readers of this forum are members of driveragent.com please feel free to PM me a user id and password for a one-off download of needed drivers, CHEERS :help:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
16– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
3rd May 2006

Where to next?

I have posted for some help from – [Malware] – [Security] – Operating System] – Staff -
I think that we have to get rid of some malware 1st – and then do the – USB Controllers Uninstall & Reinstall – One more time –

I think that – A security file on a game or Program – that is on that Hard-drive – became overzealous & installed/modified the Daemon Driver – sptd.sys – to the – sptd8577 – which when the Hard-drive was connected to a PC with Daemon Tools running – caused Daemon Tools to effectively disable the USB Controller – It is a counter measure that is a very fine line between – Copy Protecting & Malware –

I am not implying/indicating that you did anything wrong or unethical – Nor am I saying that the Program Publisher did anything wrong either – Just that somewhere this Program received a Security Update that reacted with Daemon Tools – that caused the USB to be disabled -

Daemon Tools may have a – Patch/update for this circumstance – These Security Methods are getting to be overzealous, and are inappropriately causing Hardware Failures – Which is stepping on my turf -

It is hard to fix something that is not broke – but we are being educated

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 03 May 2006 - 10:03 AM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Jack,

thanks for battling on with this one. I found some more of the "USB problem" threads on GtG, many of which you had input into. Sadly no resolutions were notified by original posters, even if they went and bought a hub or replaced the Motherboard. I pledge that I will post whatever solution I/we come to so that other readers can follow this thread through to its goal, rather than being left behind.

I think that we have to get rid of some malware 1st – and then do the – USB Controllers Uninstall & Reinstall – One more time –

I'm willing to go where you shine your light. Re Malware I changed my antivirus SW from Norton AV2005 to NOD32, which turned up Win32/Tool.TPE.A application on scanning. I haven't found any definitive descriptions or confirmations that it is a nasty when googling it, but have removed those files it appears in. Other than that Spysweeper and NOD32 sugtgest my machine is clean (as far as they can tell that is).

I have attached an HJT log in case any Malware wizards want to take a peek.
Attached File  hijackthis.doc   34KB   34 downloads

Warm regards

Digikiwi

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Jack,

It's been a few days and I just wanted to touch base with you. Are you still waiting to hear back from malware / registry gurus or have you come as far as you can with this?

Cheers

friedkiwi

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
17– digikiwi – [USB Problem]
8th May 2006

Yes I am still waiting – but I may have to prod – a bit harder –

One other method that you can try – is to - Uninstall the Motherboard USB Root Hubs – USB Controllers & Enhanced 2.0 USB Controller again – Then Restart PC – but go into – BIOS and – Disable USB – You should find this option under – Advance Menu – Integrated Peripherals – Section of BIOS – Then save & exit Bios – then let PC continue to start & run Windows – Then Restart PC – and enter Bios - & - Enable USB 1.0 & 2.0 – again . Then continue to boot again & start to Run Windows –

After PC is running – see if you can install your Flash Drive – now ?? The difference is that you have uninstalled USB PLUS - you have completely disabled Motherboard USB Ports - This may accomplish the necessary Reset [??]

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 08 May 2006 - 05:46 PM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
G'day Jack

One other method that you can try – is to - Uninstall the Motherboard USB Root Hubs – USB Controllers & Enhanced 2.0 USB Controller again – Then Restart PC – but go into – BIOS and – Disable USB – You should find this option under – Advance Menu – Integrated Peripherals – Section of BIOS – Then save & exit Bios – then let PC continue to start & run Windows – Then Restart PC – and enter Bios - & - Enable USB 1.0 & 2.0 – again . Then continue to boot again & start to Run Windows –

Did this, but no change. I discombobulated all usb devices before proceeding and uninstalled all USB (incl mass storage and print support) devices except the VIA controllers as I presume these to relate only to the PCI-USB card.

On bootup Windows found new hardware, searched and installed drivers, but to no avail. The flash dirve provokes no response from motherboard USB ports but is instantly recognised on the PCI-USB ports.

Standing by :whistling: :help: :blink:

Friedkiwi

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Check the internal wiring. If you are not comfortable with checking it, bring it to Geek Squad or a different computer repair shop.

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
You can also check with the computer manufactorer.

Edited by Anton1382, 10 May 2006 - 03:42 PM.