Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(some) USB not working

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for your attempt to help Anton1382. But what do you specifically propose checking for. If you have followed the entire thread you will have noticed that the ports are delivering 5 Volts of power. What exactly needs checking.

Geek Squad

There is a whole other world out there beyond the North American continent :whistling: :blink: :help: . Thanks for suggesting a computer shop but if I wanted to take this route then I wouldn't be on this thread.

I'll be happy to follow up any specific wiring checks you might recommend though.

Cheers

digikiwi

:)

Edited by digikiwi, 15 May 2006 - 03:42 PM.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Jack123,

Any signs of life out there?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I'm not sure what has happened to Jack123, hope he's OK but haven't sen him on the forum for some days now. Are any other staff willing to dabble in this baby or is it a candidate for the too hard baske/

I have managed to survive my bios upgrade but it hasn't fixed the USB issue

Any takers?

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I did promise I'd post the solution to this issue. ... and I will, but it hasn't manifested just yet.

I tried taking this one to the malware forum but that went nowhere. So I'll throw myself on the mercy of the hardware forum once again.

My current theory is that something is foul in the registry settings.

I'm still not 100% certain on this question - If the ports deliver their 5 Volts of power can they be fried regardless, or if they were dead would they then show up in Device Manager as not working and stop delivering power?

Judging by the number of views on this thread there are no doubt many others who would like to see an answer to this issue, not just me...

Any new ideas out there?

Digikiwi

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Just wanted to add an update to bring this thread to a close for anyone determined enought to have read this far :whistling:

Computerwiz12890 had the excellent idea to run Knoppix OS from CD. This allowed us to check whether the problem was Windows related. Two of the ports worked, four didn't. So now I know that there is a hardware issue - the PSU is a suspect at this stage, but it could be the motherboard USB hubs themselves.

In device manager (back in windows) I uninstalled everything USB and on starting up the same two ports as in the Knoppix test came back to life.

I'm happy to live with 2 out of 6 for now.

Thanks Computerwiz12890, Jack123 and all others who helped in this.

Digikiwi