Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem boot up XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you can't boot to the cd, you'll need the XP Startup Disk Set to access Recovery Console so we can repair the MBR. This will require 6 floppy disks.

Download the Boot Disk Set (links about half way down the page) for your operating system (SP1-SP2) and create the Startup set.

Use them to boot the machine. When you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, select the operating system to repair (you should have only 1 choice), and press R then "Enter. On the next screen, press F8. At the Admin password prompt, enter your password or just press "Enter" if you have not set one.

At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each:

fixboot

fixmbr

exit

Remove the floppy from the drive and restart. Let me know if this helps.

Advertisements

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you can't boot to the cd, you'll need the XP Startup Disk Set to access Recovery Console so we can repair the MBR. This will require 6 floppy disks.

Download the Boot Disk Set (links about half way down the page) for your operating system (SP1-SP2) and create the Startup set.

Use them to boot the machine. When you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen, select the operating system to repair (you should have only 1 choice), and press R then "Enter. On the next screen, press F8. At the Admin password prompt, enter your password or just press "Enter" if you have not set one.

At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each:

fixboot

fixmbr

exit

Remove the floppy from the drive and restart. Let me know if this helps.

I was having problem booting up with floopy disc.so I hooked up my HDD to my cousin's comp and booted up with the XP CD.

after typing fixboot, I get the following message:

The file system on the startup partition is unknown.
FIXBOOT is attempting to detect the file system type.

The bootsector is corrupt.
FIXBOOT is checking the filesystem type...
The partition is using the NTFS file system.

FIXBOOT is writing a new boot sector

The new bootsector was sucessfully written.

I also typed fixmbr and it gave me a warning..I continued anyway and it says it is fixed and all that.

After rebooting..the HDD still won't respond. I mean it still has same problem..will not boot to Safe mode/SM with network blah blah/Last good known. It just freezes for like a minute and computer would restart.

EDIT:!

If I tried to boot to safe mode, instead of rebooting now it gives me an error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a coyp of the above file

EDIT 2:

I tried format the C drive and it worked, reinstalled windows and all that..and it BOOTS UP! It boots up fine now but my only problem is it doesn't show the CD/DVD burners in "My computer" even though they are hooked up and they show in the bios. I think my motherboard is still messed up..along with the "Can't boot with cd/dvd" problem. Anyone got any idea what is causing this? Should I replace the mobo?

Edited by a1strank, 27 April 2006 - 02:35 PM.

a1strank

a1strank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried doing some tricks from google to fix the Drives not shown problem..but it does not work..now when XP boots up..it freezes..I guess I am going to reinstall xp with the other PC..and staffs have any idea? I REALLY think my mobo went bad and needs a replacement