Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition after install

• Please log in to reply

sypher

sypher

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ive recently been having many problems with windows and my friend told me that if i partition my windows installation, that i will be able to reinstall windows without fear of completely reformating my drive and losing everything. Only problem is that i want to do this without having to reinstall windows again. Is there a way to partition my Windows after i already installed it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is but it would not help anything with the current install

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
You could try your luck with Partition Magic... If its just data files you need to save it wont be a problem, considered the partitionning works. Partition Magic has a habit of being a hit-or-miss program, although I've always had good luck with it.

It's always best to partition just a small part of ur drive for windows, after a reformat, say 10 gigs, so you can format and partition at will without fear of problems in the future. :whistling: cool

sypher

sypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok but if i partition off my windows, can i then do a fresh install and keep all my files intact?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depending on the problems you may be able to avoid it altogether

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

sypher

sypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok so I made a stupid mistake. When I had the CD in the drive I tried to start it while in windows, now whenever i reboot it brings me to a screen asking what I want to start, either Windows XP Home Edition or Continue Windows setup. But whenever i want to continue installation it says im missing something called $WIN-SYS$(this is not exact). I did this because everytime i tried to do a repair install it would skip many files. Im really sorry to take up so much of your time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it load to the desktop if you choose XP Home?

sypher

sypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Let it load to the desktop, put the XP CD in the drive, cancel it after it starts

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter, this should start the system file check, you get a blue progress bar which goes off when the check is complete, reboot the PC and choose XP Home if it asks

Does the PC run apart from the choice at start up