Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP installing Flash

• Please log in to reply

fletch3163

fletch3163

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,can anyone offer me any help please?

I'm a complete novice with computers (just cos I can use one doesn't mean I know how to USE one :whistling: )

Anyway, I successfully installed Flash on my own computer to allow me to take an online exam but when I went to install it on someone else's computer a few days later I am now unable to. Has something happened in the past couple of days? When I try it now it says "click on the gold bar above" and there is no gold bar. I'm v confused and would be very grateful for any help. Also, has ActiveX got anything to do with things? I've seen that a couple of times too.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For the IE version, try here, look for the click here option if it doesn't run

http://www.filehippo...flashplayer_ie/

fletch3163

fletch3163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there

Thanks a lot for your quick response, it's appreciated.

I tried using your link but it didn't work either. It looked as though it was going well and then an error box with a big red cross came up saying "INF Install failure: Reason: Unknown"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, then try

If no change, run this then try

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

fletch3163

fletch3163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

Because it's a work computer I'm using I have to get permission now to do all the things you recommend.

I just can't believe it won't work when I did it before on my computer. It came up "press gold bar to install" or something similar, I did it and it worked. Now it won't. Someone here said it might have something to do with ActiveX? One of the other machines I tried to install it onto said that. Has there been some sort of licensing debacle or something (as our resident computer buff believes) or is he just making stories up to sound credible? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could click tools, internet options and set security to default

fletch3163

fletch3163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, Just changed security to default but I still got the INF Instal failure message again. This time though I saved it to the desktop first. It's there but when I go to run it I get the failure message.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
These are legitimate maintenance procedures for XP so you should be abe to run them

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

fletch3163

fletch3163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I found this

http://www.macromedi...cfm?id=624850b5

which seems to say there's problems with Flash 8

Sorry, it looks like I'm even rubbish at sending links.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That could be a common setting on a work PC

fletch3163

fletch3163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

Just wanted to come back to thank you very much for all your help last week. I eventually got it to work. Seems something happened and all of a sudden I needed administrator priveleges to intall it. Weird!

Anyway, your prompt responses and interest was much appreciated. Cheers