Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc won't release IP

• Please log in to reply

The Garlows

The Garlows

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
We have cable internet. Three days ago, the computer worked just fine. Nobody downloaded anything. Then the connection got VERY, VERY slow, then stopped working altogether. It says we are connected, and the cable company repair guy who came yesterday said our signal is perfect and the cable modem is fine. I believe him, because my husband is able to connect to XBox live through it. Anyway, the cable guy said the problem is that our pc won't release the IP address. He went to the command prompt and tried to do make it release/renew that way, but it didn't work; it got hung up on the renew command.
On the connection icon on the taskbar, there is an exclamation point in a triangle and it says "little to no connectivity". When you open up the connection box, it also shows a lock icon on the connection illustration (the picture with the two computers and the connecting line). So, the cable guy says that he thinks there is a firewall up that is not letting the ip address release and renew. But we don't have a firewall program or any program with a built-in firewall. At least, not that we can find. I have run all of my spyware programs one at a time, including spyware guard, trojan hunter, adaware, spybot search and destroy, and AVG (Then I disabled them all, in case one of those programs had a firewall that was the culprit). Nothing has worked. Please help!

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Windows XP service pack 2 has a built in firewall. Right click on my computer then click properties and see if you have service pack 2 installed. I forget where (Im at work and this comp runs win2k), but somewhere in there, I think in the tools tab there should be something about the firewall.
-P.

The Garlows

The Garlows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes I have Service Pack 2 but that Windows firewall is not the problem, according to the repair guy... and in case he was wrong I turned it off to see if that fixed the problem but it did not. Thanks, though.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
No prob. next step call your ISP and talk to the tech support, you probably need to reset your ip or they need to assign you a new one.
-P.
PS: Have you tried reseting the modem, router,etc? You usually have to do it in this order - turn off modem (leave it unplugged for about a minute,) Turn off router, turn off comp. Then power up modem, let it do its self check, then the router - let it do its self check, then power up your comp. See if that works (if you havent tried that already).

The Garlows

The Garlows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
All of that has been done. As I said, the technician from my Internet provider was at my house yesterday. I cannot get an IP because my computer will not release the one it has now. The tech believes it is a software issue.
As for resetting the modem, the tech switched it out altogether and tried a new modem and even a new cable cord.

Edited by The Garlows, 21 April 2006 - 08:53 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi The Garlows,

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test.

So, the cable guy says that he thinks there is a firewall up that is not letting the ip address release and renew.

:whistling: I highly doubt that.. But, for kicks you could restart your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then release/renew your IP..

How to restart into Safe Mode with Networking
Please restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and Safe Mode with Networking (along with a few others). Please tap the down key until you reach Safe Mode with Networking, and then press the Enter key. Your computer should now boot into Safe Mode with Networking --> Now try to release/renew your IP.