Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant boot from dvdreader with totally new computer parts

• Please log in to reply

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just bought new upgrades for my computer:

DFI LanParty UT,
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939,
Galaxy GForce6800,
Western Digital Sata 120Gb HDD,
550W Yaha PSU

Using my original 3X 256rams but with only one plugged in at the moment because with three nothing runs at all...

Also using my original DVD/CD reader which has never had problems booting from CD before....

First I had issues with getting the monitor working. Finally worked out that u needed to plug both cables in for its own power supply...

Now all I can do is go to the "PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR PRESS DELETE TO ENTER SETUP"
Continue just reboots. Going into setup and choosing for the comp to boot from CDROM first, reboots, then when its time for it to check what to boot from, it just reboots, over and over again until it gets to safe mode.

Here are some photos. One if of how things are plugged in, the other of the Safe Screen.

Ive tried Slave/master settings for the dvdr but im not sure which one to leave it on....slave always seemed fine to me...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Any help would make me cry with joy, it means im one step closer to playing the Oblivion that ive owned for a month...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
WARNING! NOW SYSTEM IS IN SAFE mode, is not a windows warning...it is a warning from system bios telling you that your memory timings are set too high or you overclocked your cpu by accident, or your memory is just simply not compatible with this motherboard

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So i need to put in three of my 256 ram sticks?? will that help? ive been told by the manufacturers that they should be fine for running it. How do i turn the settings down in the setup? ive used the "load optimized defaults" at the last reboot. The problem is the DFI lanparty is a motherboard for "Serious overclockers" which is NOT what i am! how do i turn stuff down so i can run it!

I figured it went to safe mode after telling me to many restarts, but thats very probable, still doesnt solve my ineptitude for computer bios features :whistling:

the ram sticks are 256, 133 legacy or something. I might go buy more tomorrow

LIED: ram sticks say: 256mb 184p DDR=GL 256mDDR400 2.5-3-3 i dont know what any of that means...

Edited by Zhaguar, 21 April 2006 - 09:15 AM.

Sintic

Sintic

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Try reset factory defaults... if not..
I'd recommend buying some better memory, not only because it will most likely fix your problem.. but
your never going to be able to play oblivion in a worth while manner with 256 :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I will need to go download your manual...hold on...

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
but i dun wanna spend money :whistling: lol how do i put 3x256 in like i did with my old computer! to make 768...? i put in three but the moniter doesnt turn on again so ill put one in slot 1 and one in slot 3 which are the same colour...

Edited by Zhaguar, 21 April 2006 - 09:29 AM.

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I GOT IT TO A BOOT DISK!! yay!! Through trial and error i found that one of my sticks is stuffed. also that on this mother board, you have to have a min of 512....and that you have to have them in the FIRST TWO....which is not what the manufacturer said.....but now i think i can almost get this working.....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

So i need to put in three of my 256 ram sticks?? will that help? ive been told by the manufacturers that they should be fine for running it. How do i turn the settings down in the setup? ive used the "load optimized defaults" at the last reboot. The problem is the DFI lanparty is a motherboard for "Serious overclockers" which is NOT what i am! how do i turn stuff down so i can run it!

I figured it went to safe mode after telling me to many restarts, but thats very probable, still doesnt solve my ineptitude for computer bios features :whistling:

the ram sticks are 256, 133 legacy or something. I might go buy more tomorrow

LIED: ram sticks say: 256mb 184p DDR=GL 256mDDR400 2.5-3-3 i dont know what any of that means...

It is likely that your bios is misreading your memory timings (not uncommon with older ram)

Go to the GENIE BIOS SETTINGS page in BIOS SETUP

Set DRAM FREQUENCY from AUTO to either ddr 400 or pc3200 (same thing, but different ways of saying it--your manual does not specify which nomenclautre it uses_

Change the CAS Latency control (CTL) from auto to 2.5

Leave the rest at auto

If it still does not start

Set DRAM FREQUENCY from AUTO to either ddr 333 or pc2700 (same thing, but different ways of saying it--your manual does not specify which nomenclautre it uses_

Change the CAS Latency control (CTL) from auto to 3 (NOT TWO)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
or...do what you did :whistling:

(dang slow download from dfi)

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok now i have a boot disk error, NOW its not recognising the dvdr with the windows disk in it. Going to try changing the cables around...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you may have slightly better luck with the dvd set as master, rather than slave...should not matter, but it would not hurt

Zhaguar

Zhaguar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
changed the cables to go to the setup, put First: CDROM, Second: HD, Third:Disabled. Its working now....windows installing as we speak.

Still i wont get my hopes up that i can play by tonight...ive gone 5 days i can go a bit longer :'(

The thing that caused the problem is probably the DFI's onboard feature which you can see at the site, www.dfi.com, which quicksaves your bios features. i didnt disable it but it could have been eating up all the ram...

Thanks for the help guys!!!!!! that solves that problem. If i have any more problems ill start a new topic!