Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive expansion

• Please log in to reply

dxly

dxly

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I am requesting some help to expand my single SATA hard drive.

Currently I have my hard drive setup as my C: drive and during setup
Windows XP is only showing it as 120Gb.
Is there a program I can use to expand this drive so I can use all of the Space.
Thanks in advance.
Donnie

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, how big is the drive supposed to be ? What kind of drive? what version of windows, is it sp2?

dxly

dxly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry it took me long to get back due to work.
Yes the total size is 250 SATA. I us e XP with service pack II
Donnie

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
There is no point in making the system (boot) volume 250GB, or even 120GB. You'll never need more than 20GB to hold both the operating system and the installed programs' files. You will be much better off breaking the disk into multiple partitions that will show up as C:, D: etc.. XP can have as many as 4 partitions per physical drive.

Its best to store all your data, image, photo, music, installation programs, documents, links, etc. files on non-system partitions. This means do NOT store anything in <your_account_name>'s Documents. This way if/when you need to reinstall XP your precious data can remain undisturbed in its own partitions.

You will need a program such as Partiition Magic to resize and create new partitions without disturbing the files that are currently on your C: partition.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
There is no point in making the system (boot) volume 250GB, or even 120GB. You'll never need more than 20GB to hold both the operating system and the installed programs' files. You will be much better off breaking the disk into multiple partitions that will show up as C:, D: etc.. XP can have as many as 4 partitions per physical drive.

Its best to store all your data, image, photo, music, installation programs, documents, links, etc. files on non-system partitions. This means do NOT store anything in <your_account_name>'s Documents. This way if/when you need to reinstall XP your precious data can remain undisturbed in its own partitions.

You will need a program such as Partiition Magic to resize and create new partitions without disturbing the files that are currently on your C: partition.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
To add to Wincrazy's thoughts, every version of windows scince I don't know when have been limited to 4 PRIMARY partitions per physical drive.

This was originally something to do with the FAT formatting of the MBR ( I think )

My point is, by creating a logical partition, you can then sub-partition as much as you [bleep] well please, as long as you still have drive letters open to you.

Important to always leave a few open, for network drives and removable drives though.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you can need more than 20 gigs fo your systemp parition(say scott who is using 30gigs of a 60 partition with not all his stuff installed) a second partion is a good way to save youre stuff as it means you can reformat the primary parition and reinstall the os without losing the second partion with your data.

If you go into control panel>administrative tools>computer managment you can access the disk manager from there and format your extra space to be used and assign driver letters.

If you can see the extra space make sure you dont have the drive clipped at the back you might have to remove a jumper from the back if you do have it clipped.