Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First DX10 game

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The first game for DX10 has been anounced crysis from the makers of farcry and the original crytek engine. Farcry is still one of the best games available for the PC and even though its a couple of years old now still has smoe of the best gfx of any game out.

The new Crysis game is taking it to all new levels, totally real adaptive environments, no more gliding through bushes you brush past something it behaves is if it really would, lighting and softshadows are the most realistic yet, and the facial textures on charachters are just unbelievable.

Heres an article vids are everywhere, looks unbleivable ive been looking fordward to this game, and im glad its even better than what i was expecting, its so real its unbeliavable.

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Yea it looks amazing! What kind of hardware do you reckon you'll need to run it? And do you think it'll have DX9 support?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should run on a DX9 card but not as well as a DX10 and the advanced shader effects so it will look very real as opposed to totally real. It will also need a monster PC to run, were talking past the 4000+er AMDs kinda fast and 2 maybe more gigs of ram unless they have got some really nifty optimisations, if they used the megatexture technology it would probably be more scalable but it will be patented to the company developing the new enemy territory title.

But it runs on current hardware though, and it will probably have a leaning towards ATI like HL2 did since it was ATI using at a tech demo it must like there cards.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Any word on what the first DX10 card will be (like nVidia or ATI) or even a specific name? Or is it kind of that "we know it's coming but not what it is" deal?

Crysis looks phenominal, not to mention I love Crytek. Far Cry was one of my all time favorite games.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i know some technical detail about the architecture but the names arent decided on until quite close to the release date, it will be R6xx for ATI and i think it might be G90 for nvidia but i cant really remember it will though still be called the 8 series for nvidia.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I don't think Crytek are making it, i'm sure I remember reading somewhere that UBISoft were doing it in house.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ubisoft arent involved its an EA game, Ubisoft own the Far Cry name though so even though the game is the second far cry game it isnt because ubi still own the franchise but the engine and the game are still owned by the crytek guys so they are making the game with EA this time using there second generation of the crytek engine.

Its bad that they couldnt go with ubi again as far cry was a good game and a sequel would be doable, but its looking good none the less. Its quite possible though that ubi are doing far cry 2 in house but they wouldnt be able to do it with the new engine short of a huge sum of money to buy the engine developers back from EA. They could still use the original engine though and its still a good engine.

Edited by warriorscot, 24 April 2006 - 08:42 AM.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I also heard that Crysis is also one of the first games out that will utilize that new physX card, I went to their website ageia.com, and saw all the differences between physX and non physX, looks sweet. Asus is going to be the first company out thats going to produce this card, scheduled for may.
-P.

Edited by p-zero, 24 April 2006 - 09:01 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The cards allready out mate. Agei makes em themselves in small numbers. PhysX cards arent the way fordward its lunacy to get one now, ATI and Havoc are working on integrating an extra physx processor on the graphics cards which is the more sensible approach. Physx cards are nothing special though just processors you can run it on a normal cpu if you have a dual core and tweaked the ageia drivers it can technically work that way.

The differences really dont amount to much in game the extra physics objects need to be catered for in memory and CPU time and to get the extra number of objects to make a card worth while game developers have to add in extra objects and set pieces to use it.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The cards that they produce seem to be going into the new alienwares, falcon NW, and high end dell's. But of course those are just ridiculous, quad sli...... now thats just overkill. Do you have maybe any links to the ATi or havoc pages, or any info on those? Cuz Id really like to get 1..... um 2. thanx
-P.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i havent read anything on the internet there probably a publicity site but its in mags ive read it, try google. You can buy the Ageia cards you can buy from retailers though at least i can if i was ever inclined. The ATI/Havoc cards are another couple of months away they are scheduled to come out around the same time as games to use them but not many are using them just a few at the moment but its not a hard midifcation to let them use it theres only a few games that have content add to actually use it and mostly its just "demos" for the technology its really just a second sub game engine like i said the processors arent revolutionary technology or anything just bog standard processors. The ATI/Havok cards might have some extra stuff because its linked to the GPU there is more options as to what they can do also they will have the advantage of using the x16 interface rather than the x1.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Far Cry - "one of the best games for PC"

Are you joking? The game licked, the only thing that was good was the graphics.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I liked it all my friends like it, it got great reviews. Story wasnt great(neither was it bad) but that wasnt something exclusive look at Q4 and it had good length and replayability. Gameplay was excellent whole user interface was one of the best around weapon selection was good and balanced lots of fire modes for different situations(something often underestimated) AI was excellent and graphics top notch and excellent support and patches if thats not what makes a great FPS then im afraid weve all been playing some truly awful ones for the last ten years.

Edited by warriorscot, 25 April 2006 - 08:36 AM.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
EA is involved?!?

That ruins it for me....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
EA is involved with most games these days, If it aint UBI or Vivendi/Valve its EA so thats most games really, they arent to bad though these days they rarely mess with there PC games developers they get a free rein EA just does the distribution and takes its cut. You can tell EA own developed games from a while off, they almost always have some kind of sports personality in them and all quite stupidly use the same key encryption as well so they have a one key for all system going.