Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet explorer address bar problem

• Please log in to reply

lghamm

lghamm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
For the last two days, I have had problems with the IE address bar. It won't find a website if I type in "www.geekstogo.com", only if I type in "http://www.geekstogo.com". This has never happened before. I tried shutting down the computer and that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks!
Laura

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

It seems people are having a problem with the latest Microsoft Updates. The problems vary, but more seem to be like yours.

Look and see if you have KB 908531 installed. If so, try uninstalling and reboot. You can always install this update again if it is not the problem.

Better yet, do a search in this forum using it as a keyword. I think this Update appeared aroung the 16th or 17th. Read some of the related problems and their fixes.

Post back if more questions or removal of update solves your problem.

Ron

lghamm

lghamm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for replying. You said:

"Look and see if you have KB 908531 installed. If so, try uninstalling and reboot. You can always install this update again if it is not the problem."

I don't know how to do what you've suggested. I tried a regular file search which came up with 9 files with KB908531 in it. Now what? The only way I know to unistall things is with "add or remove programs" and I don't see any thing on the program list with KB 908531. ( I tried to copy the list of files into this email, I can't get that to work--seems like its not possible to copy those search results. I'll hand type them in if you want me to--just let me know how much info you need. The locations are very long.)
I follow instructions well and have been able to solve other problems using geekstogo, so I'm not a total newbie, but I'm no expert either. Thanks for your help!
Laura

lghamm

lghamm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Someone in another forum suggested it could be something with 'Auto-complete'. On his advice I cleared my cache, then did this: in 'tools', 'internet options', click on 'content', 'autocomplete', and then 'clear forms'.
That fixed the problem. I'm glad it wasn't that other thing. I'm paranoid about fiddling with the registry.
Laura