Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User access

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I guess we're going to have to improvise...I can't find anything we haven't tried.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok". Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and choose "Permissions". Make sure that each of the entries in the top box has at least "Full" and "Read" permissions in the lower box. Click "Apply" after each change you make and click "Apply" then "Ok" after the last change.

Reboot and try Quickbooks.

Advertisements

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Entries were already 'full' and 'read' so no diff. Something that I think may be augmenting this problem is the fact that, prior to coming to this forum, I followed the directions in the QuickBooks manual, which indicated that I should re-install the software. Subsequent installation(s) didn't go well as there were a lot of caution/error(yellow triangle?) messages. So now I thought that maybe I should uninstall the program and go through your recommendations with a new, clean installation. Problem is that I can't uninstall as wizard asks for the key code, which I enter, which it then tells me is incorrect. I tried just deleting the folder in Program Files, but that doesn't help. The folder is gone but it still shows up in 'Add/Remove programs' as well as regedit area.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the folder is still in the Recycle Bin, locate it and restore it.

Then do a System Restore to a date before you installed Quickbooks the first time and see what happens. That should remove all the registry entries.

Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools to tidy everything back up, then before installing Quickbooks, use the registry editor and set the permissions for the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_CURRENT_USER hives of the registry.

Once Quickbooks has installed, set the permissions for the Intuit Folder in BOTH the Program Files folder AND the folder located in C:\Windows.

I don't know that this is going to do the trick, but it will sure give you the best chance for a successful install.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 April 2006 - 12:17 AM.

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry - All is gone, dumped from recycle. I actually tried to do a system restore to a point in time when this software wasn't in my life. Restore goes through all of the motions and then ends with 'couldn't restore'.

Edited by robolma, 23 April 2006 - 12:25 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just start with the System Restore, then...and do the rest of the things I suggested. It should still clean things up pretty good.

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
.......but that's what I'm saying as well, system restore, won't.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ouch! :whistling:

What kind of machine is this? Is it a branded machine like Dell or HP...or is it a custom build?

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Dell Dimension 3000

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Dell is good...

Do you have the recovery cd's for the machine?

Which Intuit folder did you remove? The one in Program Files or the one in the Windows folder?

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No - Dell decided that they weren't going to ship the recovery CD. (I do have one from my Toshiba laptop if they're interchangeable?? :whistling: ). All Intuit folders are gone. I did a search for 'Intuit' and deleted everything that came up. I guess I'm in big heckers now?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It just keeps getting better and better.... :blink:

Try to reinstall Quickbooks...even a dodgy install will do. We just want the folders back and hopefully an uninstaller package. :whistling:

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm on it as we speak. I'll need to shut things down for awhile. Give me 10.

Edited by robolma, 23 April 2006 - 01:13 AM.

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK - I'm back and it's re-installed (with a lot of warnings)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's ok...so long as it managed to install the uninstaller.... :whistling:

Take a look in Add or Remove Programs...if Quickbooks is there, uninstall it....Hopefully we'll get a clean uninstall. Let me know what you find...

Once that's done, do the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. The defrag will take a while, but do it even if it tells you tou don't need to defrag.

I'm going to have to get some sleep, but will be back on tomorrow...we'll se if we can force a clean install. :blink:

Edited by wannabe1, 23 April 2006 - 01:21 AM.

robolma

robolma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Will do. Have a good night. Thanks again for all the help